cc fanfic@fanfic.com, Ranma 1/2 ML <ranma@usagi.jrd.dec.com>,
from "H. Torrance Griffin" <heretic@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu>
subject Joketsuzoku
date Wed, 30 Apr 1997 20:35:04 -0400
On Wed, 30 Apr 1997, Gary Kleppe wrote:

> This is something I've come to my own weird conclusion about: Why does the
> Chinese government -- as well as all other world powers -- seem to leave the
> Amazons alone?
	I think it's simply far more trouble than it's worth to do
otherwise.

	Despite a reputation for ferocity, they seem a comparatively
peaceful folk prone to minding their own business if left unmolested.
However, the typical village woman is likely to be a match for any 2 or 3
PLA soldiers in close combat (the more dedicated warriors and elders are
far more formidable) and probably competent at gurrella(sp?)  warfare. In
addition the village is known to have access to several fairly powerful
spells and talismans and I wouldn't be suprised if the elders have a stash
of AK-47s maintained for just such an eventuality.  Also remember that an
attack on the Joketsuzoku would have to succeed in killing or capturing
_every_ warrior and elder of the tribe, lest the knowledge they possess be
dissiminated to more active malcontents in Sinkang, Tibet, etc.
	The village itself is in the mountains somwhere out somewhere in
the back of beyond (I've checked out some maps, Qinghai provence is closer
to Kazakhstan than Beijing), at least a day's hike away from the nearest
paved road.  Airborne attack is a possibility, but I can't see the army
approaching unnoticed in enough force to be certain of taking the village
and _everyone_ within.  If the soldiers are lucky, they'd find an empty
village and feel obliged to lie though their teeth when they report in; if
they aren't, they'd find a _seemingly_ empty village and not survive to
report back.

	On top of all that, the Musk Dynasty is also nearby and any
attempt by Beijing to clamp down on the area would probably have to deal
with _them_ as well.

	Like I said, not worth the trouble.

> Let's ask another question: Cologne is the matriarch of the Amazons, if the Viz

> translations are accurate in this regard; at the least she is one of their most

> respected elders and most powerful warriors. Why is she in Japan running a ramen

> shop?
>
> My guess is that these questions have a common answer. If all of the Amazons
> stayed in their village, they could all be wiped out -- by a nuclear "accident"

> if nothing else. OTOH, with Cologne in Japan, if anything happened to her
> sisters back home she would remain. She would have very little trouble finding
> out who ordered it and dealing with them.
	Good point.

HTG (Over-anylizing? Naahhh! ;)

Search field Search string

archive list