Ranma and Akane

to Ranma 1/2 ML <ranma@usagi.jrd.dec.com>
from Chris Rijk <chris@ivision.co.uk>
subject Ranma and Akane
date Tue, 1 Apr 1997 21:44:16 +0100 (BST)
"Pimpin' Imperial Majestrix of SD-ism Laura" <pink@community.net> wrote:

Albert wrote:
>>At the same time, because it became one of their main habits of
>>interaction, calling each other names became a backhanded way of affirming
>>their relationship.

>*nod* I agree.
Hmm... I dunno...
(going by the manga here)
I'm not sure what the Japanese on the ML would say, but I would say that
Akane and Ranma do recognise that they are technically engaged...
So, they don't need to re-afirm it.

We don't get to see too much of Ranma and Akane's 'normal' behavious,
but I would say that Ranma and Akane have a lot more conversations
without arguments/name calling than with... People seem to get the
idea that Ranma and Akane argue _all the time_.

Quite often the reason why Ranma gets hit/bashed etc is become some
other girl is being too friendly, or it appears that Ranma's being too
friendly to them...
There have been a few occations in which Akane has been mean to Ranma
for no obvious reason - ie playing a prank/joke etc on him, or just being mean.
Ranma has done the same, but less often, I think. Ranma also often
unintentially insults her - he has a amazing ability to say something
really badly, and he's too honest and says too much. Sometimes Ranma
just doesn't understand what he's said to make Akane angry...

>>They do revert to being more honest when they are alone, but it seems to be
>>a difficult transition. (Ranma in particular can't learn when to hold back
>>on the "smart" remarks.)

He's done well on some occations though...

>Yes, that's true.  I always talk with my friends about how if either Ranma
>or Akane would admit threir love for the other, things would all fall into
>place.
Ranma has actually twice told Akane that he loves her, both times unintentially.
The first time Akane was quite happy, and started cooking for him a lot...
which is why Ranma started thinking that he should explain why she got
the wrong idea (he meant it another way).

>Hm.. but I do remember the reason why Akane was marrying Ranma (in
>volume 38) was because he said that he loved her.
It's not 100% clear, but it looks like he didn't verbally say "I wanted
to tell you that I love you".
She was also marrying him so he could get cured. She thought it was
okay because she was certain Ranma loved her.

>Maybe Akane's still pretty shy about the whole thing; What I was
>getting at is, is there a part in the manga where Akane actually tells
>Ranma that she loves him?
Nope. Well, not in her own mind - see reversal jewel story...

I had a fan-fic idea where Ranma gets to be certain that Akane
loves him (without her realising), and makes a big, really
impressive proposal to her, only to be turned down because Akane
doesn't think he's serious. (Aren't I cruel.) Well I think Akane
needs to be able to mature (being able to accept her limitations
and properly do something about it as well, among other things),
as well as Ranma...
Personally, I thought RT was right not to marry Ranma and Akane,
at that stage. Since Ranma can't even admit he loves Akane to
himself....

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited