Re: I'm Buying From Nikaku SOON

to ranma@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from John Chennavasin <chennav@haas.berkeley.edu>
subject Re: I'm Buying From Nikaku SOON
date Tue, 2 May 1995 08:31:50 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 2 May 1995 deckerd@agcs.com wrote:

> Those are Viz's own suggested retail prices for those tapes (more or
> less -- aren't they actually $29.95 and $34.95?), so you probably
> can't do any better at a regular video store unless you hit on a
> store having a special sale. For the unnumbered second series of Ranma
> TV episode tapes that recently started, Viz did lower the price to
> $24.95. These prices aren't bad when you consider what the stuff costs
> in Japan: the OAV tape Viz sells for $34.95 includes two episodes that
> sold in Japan for 4800 yen apiece on laserdisc (and fast approaching
> $70 from an import dealer).

The Japanese Ranma 1/2 OAVs are the same price on videotape also. Then
again, people who buy imported from Japan anime will almost always buy it
on laserdisc.

Then again, the Tower Records near my apartment still sells import anime at
the rate of 100 yen=$1.00. Much better than what Nikaku Animart's been
charging lately.

                                John Chennavasin
                            chennav@haas.berkeley.edu
                        http://haas.berkeley.edu/~chennav