Re: Using japanese in fanfics.

to ranma-tmp@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from "Chris Rijk" <cpr1@doc.ic.ac.uk>
subject Re: Using japanese in fanfics.
date Tue, 31 Dec 1996 16:01:33 +0000
WebDragon <kmark@odyssey.on.ca> wrote:
>        Using Japanese words along with English words is meant to add a
>flavor and another level of meaning to the fic that is otherwise not
>achieved with mere English.  Like using 'koi' instead of 'carp'.  Koi also
>means 'love' in Japanese.  Of course, there are those people who like to
>show off their limited Japanese vocabulary but I do think the majority of
>fanfic writers use Japanese to ADD to the fic, not to detract from it.  Just
>don't use too much of it.

I agree, using Japanese can add to the story, but be careful - I have seen
quite a few authors get things wrong....

>(sometime before Kasumi finished school, and Akane is about 6 or 7)
>--------
>
>        "Konnichiwa, Tofu-san!", yelled Akane as she ran towards him,
>balancing her little school bag on her back.  Kasumi, in a school uniform,
>held onto her sister for dear life.
>
>        "Good afternoon, Akane.  K-Kasumi!!  Imagine meeting me here, of all
>places!"
>
>----------

>        That would be, IMO, the perfect use of Japanese in fics.

Yeah, well, to be honest.... you wouldn't call a doctor '-san' - you'd use
'-sensei'. Also, if you have "Tofu-sensei" you should also have "Akane-chan"
and "Kasumi-san".

Happy New Year!!

Hmm, it's snowing... but what the heck, I'll still go watch Big Ben boing out
the new year.
See you next year!

PS Some of you may be wondering why I'm being a bit slow on getting the next
part of Inuyaksa translated - well, I'd left the stuff at my place of work, so
I could come in and do it at the weekend - but no-one else turned up and I
don't have a key, and also, there's some high priority work I gotta do...
If I can do about 5 hours work on it tomorrow, then I might have it done by
then.
Interesting series - also very very hard to predict.

--
+---- Chris Rijk --- cpr1@doc.ic.ac.uk --- http://www.wot-club.org.uk/ ----+
| Students' Revenge by quotes from lecturer Jeff Magee:                    |

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited
MLtools V3.1 Copyright (c) Usagi Labs