Re: Clothing

to ranma@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from Akira Igarashi <igarashi@catfish.kuciv.kyoto-u.ac.jp>
subject Re: Clothing
date Thu, 1 Aug 96 21:37:18 EST
franklin@gsvms2.cc.gasou.edu wrote:
> I have a question.  You've probaly noticed that Ukyou (and sometime Japaness
> men enganed in physical activety) often were where a one piece, normaly
> white, towell (for lack of a better word) tied accross there back in a
> figure eight (with the arms in the loops of the 8)?  Does any one know what
> this practice is called and/or why its done?

The strip of cloth used in that way is called 'tasuki', and the practice is
called 'tasuki-gake'. As you correctly guessed, tasuki is used to tie up
loose sleeves of traditional Japanese clothes when intense body movement/action
is necessary.

In manga and anime, tasuki seems to be used also as a caricature to
indicate the character's preparedness for physical activity, mental exertion,
etc...

Akira Igarashi
e-mail: igarashi@catfish.kuciv.kyoto-u.ac.jp

Search field Search string