Re: ranma ML 1 hour matome okuri

to ranma@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from John Chu <john.chu@yale.edu>
subject Re: ranma ML 1 hour matome okuri
date Sun, 7 Jul 1996 09:42:56 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 7 Jul 1996 ucchan@usagi.jrd.dec-j.co.jp wrote:

> > Actually I always thought this was very weird.  From my impression of
> > both Genma and Ranma, they are very proud to be Saotomes.  Now
> > why would Genma agree to have his only son's name change to Tendo?
> > Did he expect to have more sons?  Was his friendship so great that he
> > was willing to let Soun give Ranma his lastname?  I don't know but if he
> > and Soun had agreed that Ranma and Akane's future kids might inherit the
> > Tendo name I could understand.  Something like half the kids are Tendos,
> > the other half Saotomes.  That way both lastnames are preserved.
>
> I get the feeling that Genma would sell his (son's) soul if it would
> let him live the rest of his life without working.   To someone like
> that, whats a last name in comparison with free food.

Ranma's name being changed to Tendo probably has to do with inheriting
the "Tendo" training hall.  Genma has no training hall to pass down to
Ranma, so being a Saotome has no significance other than mere pride.  And
Genma would not sell his son's soul, he is a father after all.  He does
what he believes to be the best for both him and his son.  A secured good
life for Ranma would mean the same for himself.

-John

John Chu				Summer Tel.: (203) 230-9969
P.O. Box 200703                       	Email: avatar@minerva.cis.yale.edu
New Haven, CT 06520-0703		WWW: http://www.yale.edu/~avatar/