Re: quick question about anime in general

to ranma@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from Ferquin N C Root <fncr@u.washington.edu>
subject Re: quick question about anime in general
date Tue, 30 Apr 1996 22:08:27 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 30 Apr 1996, THE HITMAN wrote:

I guess I might as well throw in my two cents.  I think the Japanese want
to appeal to not just their own culture but to the "Western" culture as
well.  Look at all the stuff borrowed from the "Western" culture:
fashion, language, music,...etc.  They've integrated these things into
their lifestyles and its just become something that everybody's used to in
Japan, even though it may look weird to us.  They mimic us and sometimes
it doesn't completely translate well, like Japanese cowboys, thus it
seems, to us, kinda silly.  I guess we all want to fit in by copying one
another and one way they do that is by making their anime characters
"Western"-looking.

> I know that there are some anime out there that do purposely make them
> "look Japanese", but I can't name one just right now.

"Akira" comes to mind.

> ...oh yeah, another thing I tell them: "you may as well ask me too, why
> there's so many different and wierd hair colors."

I heard somewhere that the color of the hair determines personality.  Does
anybody else know more on this?
                                  _       _______
______________________           | \     (_______)
|                     \          |] \____~O\\_//____  |