Ranma origin theory (& our ML red head)

to ranma@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from Ulug M Unligil <ulu@lec.med.utoronto.ca>
subject Ranma origin theory (& our ML red head)
date Sat, 1 Apr 1995 13:37:01 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 1 Apr 1995, Joe Perez wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Mar 1995, Hitomi Ichinohei wrote:
>
>     Joe says:
> > > Yeah, it might be tough to come up with a red headed japanese actress :-)
> > >

> > Not as difficult as you might think.  There are a lot of us half-breeds
> > in Japan.
> >
> > Ichinohei Hitomi
> >
> > Hitomi_Ichinohei@MBnet.mb.ca
>
> There are nicer ways to describe your multiple genetic endowments than to
> put yourself down with the term "half-breed" which I'm assuming (correct
> me if I'm wrong) is considered a putdown just about everywhere.

Personally, I like to think of it as "hybrid vigour."  (A little genetics
joke, sorry.)

Over the last couple of days, I have come up with a theory to how
Takahashi Rumiko came up with part of the idea for Ranma... some facts
which have come up are too coincidental to ignore!  Read on:

Okay, picture this:  About ten years ago, Takahashi, living in a suburb
of Tokyo, visits the local high schools to practice drawing school
uniforms.  (Hey, training your technical skills is always important.)  A
red-headed girl catches her eye... this girl is kawaii, and has something
different about her:  she is proficient in the art of bujutsu, the
"anything-goes martial art!"  Takahashi says to herself:  "This girl
combines beauty and grace with energy and vigour... I could write a manga
about her... I will call her 'Wild Horse! (maybe Takahashi likes the
novel, The Red Pony...)'"

A few twists later, (okay, more than just a few), and Ranma 1/2 is born!

So, Ichinohei-san, could it be that *you* are the basis of Ranma?  :)
Hmmm, you wouldn't happen to have really big eyes, would you?  I'm sure
that the rest of the mailing list has the same idea, but are just afraid to
ask! :)  Or, should I start seeing a psychiatrist about my inability to
distinguish anime from reality? In any case, maybe this is why you like
Ranma so much?

Evidently I didn't have that much to do at work the last few days...
                                --  UU

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited