Re: ignorance and hatred

to ranma@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from Ronald Spillman <rspill@freenet.columbus.oh.us>
subject Re: ignorance and hatred
date Fri, 1 Dec 1995 02:09:55 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 30 Nov 1995, Wendy Watson wrote:

> Indeed, it is a truly sad sight when the only way a large group of people
> decide to fight hate is to use hate themselves.  The best thing to do
> when you see a hate group meeting in a public place is--leave. Don't give
> them the time of day and don't make them think they are important or
> significant, for it is that anger and attention that they feed upon. Of
> course another side to this is the fact that when you use hate to battle
> hate, you are merely stooping to the depths that you are trying to
> eliminate. Control the temper and you have already won one battle. Show
> them how ignorant they truly are and you are on your way to winning the
> war. No one wants to be a part of something that is viewed by the common
> whole as stupid, ignorant, and childish in behavior.  You cannot deny the
> presence of the rest of the world simply by saying "I don't like you."
> It's foolish. Here in the south it is predominantly black-white relations
> that has everyone walking on eggshells, and there have been a rash of
> racist crimes on both sides, I'm sorry to say. And the O.J. verdict
> inflamed this feeling of hate (but let's please, for the sake of sanity,
> not get into the verdict thing). The oriental(Chinese, Japanese, Korean,
> most people down here don't even know there's a difference) race problem
> is here, too, but not as prevalent since the population is smaller).
> Well, food for thought.
> Shampoo.
When dealing with racists, violence (even cartoon violence) isn't the answer;
that just creates a never-ending cycle of violence(sheesh, the hatred in the
Balkans has been going on for centuries, and with the turf wars happening
in my neighborhood, you'd think that was going on just as long). A few
prejudiced people can make a lot of noise(whether the hate is against blacks,
whites, Japanese, liberals, conservatives, homosexuals, Christians, athiests,
whatever), so the voices of reason must be louder still, not to drown the
bigots out, but to provide others with a viable alternative. If we must hate
something, two words: Hate Hate. Ja ne.

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited