Re: Ranma's job

to mlist-ranma@nntp-server.caltech.edu
from anandc@gluttony.ugcs.caltech.edu (Anand Chelian)
subject Re: Ranma's job
date 1 Mar 1995 21:02:51 GMT
In article <01HNLQRSBE46984IUQ@conrad.appstate.edu>,
 <ranma@usagi.jrd.dec-j.co.jp> wrote:

>>You are missing a small Japanese cultural note: to wit, "marry him and carry on

>>this training hall" is equivalent to "marry him to carry on this training
>>hall".  I know of very few dojos that would be run by females in Japan (or
>>elsewhere for that matter), it is not a "traditional" role.  And you "need" a
>>male to carry on the dojo, therefore, one of the daughters has to marry a
>>martial artist so that the dojo traditions could be carried on.

>Well, I was also obviously having to overlook the fact that that was the English

> translation and I don't speak Japanese so I have no idea how to argue the
> original text.  My point is that, it could be argued, say, in a court of law
> or something, that the relationship was not necessarily cause-and-effect.
> Implying something is not as binding as saying it outright but, I guess
> later inferences seem to back up to cause-and-effect relationship.

I was using your English translation, not the original Japanese text, I was
simply putting it back in the proper cultural context.  In Japan, saying things
outright is generally considered rude (as it is in many oriental societies).

>Happily (at least from my viewpoint), Japan is becoming less sexist society,
> probably partly to people like Rumiko Takahashi whose writing and art are
> helping to create positive strong female role models.  I think perhaps part
> of Akane's resentment over the whole situation may be that very fact that
> she wouldn't be able to take over the dojo herself but would have to let her
> husband do it.

Actually, if you look at it... Akane is the most traditional of Ranma's
fiancees.... And if you think R.T.'s writing and art are not traditional, you
are mistaken.  They do have strong female role models, but, if you look, most
of her stories are set in a rather traditional Japan.  And yes, Japan, luckily,
seems to be getting less sexist.

>I don't think I was putting any cultural bias on this.  It was more like I was
> trying to support an argument that was obviously lost and long dead.  Sorry
> about that.  I'm an Aries.  We're stubborn that way.  I'll shut up now.

Cool, I am a Leo, what does that mean?  Don't worry about shutting up.. If no
one said it, then it could neither be corrected or supported...

--
Anand Chelian | anandc@ugcs.caltech.edu
"History is made by the few, and wielded over the many."

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited
MLtools V3.1 Copyright (c) Usagi Labs