Subject: nagging, fanfics
From: Brad Clark <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 19:06:41 -0400

Ben Zaiten to ?:

>>You reminded me?
>
>As soon as I got back on Sunday. I made a note of your new "name" 
>and reminded you that fanfic discussion was scheduled for 
>Tuesday. Perhaps you missed it. In that case, bravo for posting
>the discussion questions on time without being reminded!

Well, I think he said he was unsubbed at the time, so he might not have
gotten that one.  He was reminded though.  I nagged him on AIM on Sun or
Mon, and then told his brother to nag him when he was surfing on ?'s
account.  There's also the remote possibility that he remembered by himself
this time.  ^_^
=========

Don:

>Most fanfics just suck, period.  
>
>        Most fanfics are also too long.  Consider it is very likely that very
>few of the fanfiction writers are ever going to write on a professional
>level (i.e. authoring), it becomes clear why long = bad.  It is hard for
>a professional author to hold a reader's interest for an extended amount
>of time. 

I think that's too harsh.  I won't even try to guess what percentage of
fanfic writers are English-majors-with-intent-to-publish-a-novel, but
surely it can't be all of them.  That being said, there have to be a lot of
good or great fanfics out there that were written by someone just because
they wanted to.  The problem isn't that they suck, it's that a great
idea/story/writing might suck when using the relatively undeveloped
characters like those in Ranma (I like the series and all, but it's not
exactly heavy with meaning.)

>The best fanfiction I've read are no more than 15 pages.  Anymore it
>becomes increasing hard to make something coherent and interesting.

Well, at least you've previously admitted that you never read much
fanfiction, because there's some really good megabyte fanfiction out there.
 (But you did forget to add the qualifier "to me." at the end.)

Bradster         ICQ: 10951748 (FWIW)   Founder of SAUCE & EOE
Ranma Preview Gallery and SAUCE thru  http://members.xoom.com/wyvern_1/
Ecchi site reborn at http://kei.animenetwork.com/ranma/nerv/
"For wife I take Nabiki; her sister and the pigtailed girl I take as my
concubines!"