Subject: Re: fanfic discussion
From: "Stiffanie Flores" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 19:00:36 +0800

>General Questions:
>Could the story fit in the regular Ranmaverse?

Except for Ranma willingly staying as a girl, I guess.

>Was anyone noticeably OOC?
>(specifically address Ranma, Akane, and Nodoka)

Most of the characters are actually "in character".   Akane's temper,
Genma's cowardice, Kasumi's calm attitude.... everything was pretty much
in place.

Nodoka ... somehow I can't imagine Nodoka accepting her son's female
half.  In the manga even after she was reunited with Ranma when she
caught him dressed in a woman's kimono she brought her sword out and
swung it at him.  No, I don't think she would force Ranma to stay as a
girl unless totally necessary.

Akane though was pretty much the same "Akane" in this fanfic.  Still
violent, still prone to jumping to the wrong conclusions.  And yup, her
hair-trigger temper is in place.

Ranma.... I've always believed Ranma *HATED* his curse, and would do
anything to rid himself of it, and would never stay as a girl, except
when being a girl would enable him to do something he can't do as a guy.
I can't imagine Ranma almost being comfortable with his curse.  It's
what makes Ranma - his desire throughout the entire manga series to get
rid of his curse.

>Were there any noticeable author biases?
>

None that I could see.  As I said, most of the characters are portrayed
very well, very little OOC.

>Any favourite quotes?

Especially liked the scene where Ranma was playing a Japanese Amazon and
Akane was playing Ranma.  Shampoo's reaction to an Amazon Ranma was
hilarious!

Oh, and the "demon Saotome" scene was just so funny.

> "Pardon, Kasumi Tendo.  But I seek the Demon Saotome."
>Kasumi thought.  There was a Ranma Saotome, and a Genma Saotome,
but...
> "There's no-one here by that name, Kuno-san.  Would you like some
tea?"
> "There's... No male?  About this high, dark of hair, tied in a
pig-tail that mocks my goddess, dressed in the garments of heathen
China?"
> "No," Kasumi answered in total accuracy.  "Not for about ten days
or so."

>Did you enjoy the fanfic?
>

If nothing else, it's certainly funny.

>===================
>Story-specific questions:
>
>Would Ranma ever, in a month of Mondays, actually agree to the Girl
Days?
>

Nah.  I don't think so.  It just doesn't seem like Ranma.

>Would Ranma ever, in a month of Mondays, actually go out with Ryouga?
>

Well, his honor certainly demanded it.  It was a dare, after all.

>Did the author do a good job of dealing with some of the more "feminine
>aspects" of Ranma's curse?  I suppose I'll be mercilessly derided if I
don't
>just say it - In other words, did he deal well with the sort of stuff
that
>Takahashi terms "I don't think about it, and neither should you."?
(PMS, the
>possibility of pregnancy, and the like)
>

Well, Ranma's reaction to his monthly period was definitely very funny.
And the author did a good job of writing about Ranma's ... um ... sour
temper during the first few days of his first period...

>Was the author's continual commentary/fourth-wall breaking distraction,
or
>did it work in this case?
>

Yeah, his side-comments were pretty funny.  I kinda think it fit very
well with the way the author was telling the story.

>What did you think of the final (as of now) costume-party chaos scene
at the
>Kunou estate?
>

Didn't read it carefully, though I remember Ranma singing karaoke and
P-chan blown away from the speakers... ^_^

>Just for fun, since the story is unfinished, where do you anticipate
the author will take it from here?

Probably kick what's-his-name's butt all the way from Japan to
who-knows-where.

On Ranma fanfics :

If there's anything to be said about the number of Ranma fanfics being
produced, though, it just goes to prove how famous the series is, and
how people are not very contented with the series ends and thus they try
to provide an ending they like on their own terms.  And, with the many
Ranma fanfics available, it's certainly rare that you can find something
really REALLY worth reading.  It takes much skill, I think, to be able
to craft a story with these characters and not be OOC.

Stiffanie Flores