Subject: reply to HK, Don, Frank
From: Brad A Clark <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 1997 01:57:34 -0500

HK:

>> I suppose you would just stand there and watch the bread
>>as it sailed into someone else's hands, if you KNEW that you were agile
>>enough to jump up and get it before anyone else had a chance to?
>Ryoga was competetion.  It would have been easier for Ranma to get bread by
>simply waiting for the next piece, which Ryoga would *not* have jumped for.
> Since he always wanted the same one as Ryoga, he's just victimizing him,
>plain and simple.

Since Ryoga always wanted the same one as Ranma, and didn't realize that 

===

>>forward like you're going to kick someone, and have your partner tell
>>you how far you traveled in the first 2 seconds.
>Ranma was jumping *up* over the bamboo patch. 

The same bamboo patch that you said Genma unintentionally cleared out of
her way for her?  She is leaping upwards and forward for a kick at
Genma.
===

>It was 7 feet.  Would you like me to go over *why* it's seven feet again?

Feel free.  Just expect me to disregard it and explain why it *isn't*
seven feet again.  If you haven't noticed, I'm not the only one who is
posting against you on this matter, and we seem to know a little bit
more about it than you...
===

>>Of course I'll ignore it, because you still don't know what you're
>>talking about, and it's still wrong.  Refer to my less-than-extended,
>>but still-more-accurate-than-yours addendums to my original point.
>Read them.  They were wrong.

Don't come whining to me when you fail physics.
===

>Ranma wasn't moving forward nearly as fast as you'd like to think she was.

And if they were moving as slowly as you'd like to think they were,
they'd have fallen to the ground the instant after they jumped.  Gravity
is a harsh mistress.
===

HK to Jesse:
>> Oh yeah, and there's no 'speed lines' in the impact scene, which there
>> probably would have been if she had been moving fast (as everyone keeps
>> saying, 'Takahashi is fond of drawing a lot of unneeded effects').

'Everybody' in this case, consists solely of me.  It is an opinion I
brought up months before you arrived on the ML.  I believe many of them
are unnecessary, and just clutter up the frames.
=========
 
Don, of the lefthanded compliments:
>>Not to mention the fact that Ryoga would
>> have realized that it would be a good idea to have the duel after Ranma
>> walked him home, since they're both together at the same time.
>        Hmmm... the bread feud covers an indefinite amount of time.

No doubt a certain quarter (as in school of thought, not percentile)
would aggressively object to this statement, since it would put the lie
to Ranma victimizing Ryoga (stealing 5 times out of 30 is much less
heinous than 5 out of 5)- not to mention make Ryoga even more irrational
than he already is for issuing the challenge.
====

>> That's why I said 'similar to what happened when he finally remembered
>> who Ryoga was.'  He gives no evidence of this 'light bulb effect' while
>> Ryoga is talking about Jusenkyo.
>        I don't know if this is obscure, but generally if people in Ranma 1/2
>says they don't remember something, they usually really don't remember
>something rather than having a complex reason for lying

I've said it before, and mean no disrespect for the author, but RT just
isn't that complex of a writer.  Creative, yes.  Complex, no. 
Everything is very straightforward, with no strange subplots or motives
like you see in confusing works like the 'Dune' series.  No reverse (or
reverse-reverse) psychology, few mind games, most tricks can be seen a
mile away, extortion is blatant, etc...
===

>       Similarly, even without the cultural references, the casts obviously
>treats Akane and Ranma's engagement with a lot more emphasis than that
>of Ukyou's which usually implied A & R's engagement is more serious than
>that of Ukyou's.

Um, did I miss the segue here?  I don't see how the two paragraphs
relate...
===

>> Founder of the Equal Opportunity Ecchi          Lurker in Akane's Dojo
>        Yeah, one of these days we might actually do something.  Still trying
>to find someone to do the actual programming.  It seems whatever free
>time I've always goes somewhere else other than homepage planning. 

Well, since as of today I'm officially unemployed, I could probably
donate an hour or twenty to it- provided that you don't have anything
fancy in mind (what I have on my homepage is the extent of my skills at
this time), already know what you want done, and have all the
material/information you want on it ready.
============

Frank:
>Citing personal affairs, he's unsubbed indefinitely. He even took down his
>webpage...I think Ted is running Gate 8 and I've let Ukyou clone
>temporarily stay in my Gate 7 until his return...

I really should've repossessed her (I am her 'father' after all), but I
thought it would've been crass to say "Can I have my clone back?",
considering why he unsubbed.
===

>Anyone else have suggestions for putting in stuff to the terms or FAQ
>page? I think I basically covered everything so far...^_^

I still think someone should compile all of the standard arguments that
are used in the frequently recurring debates and catalog them.  You can
then put it in your FAQ, and whenever the topic comes up again, we can
just talk by numbers:

person 1:  I think Ukyo's engagement is valid because of [UEVA-1]
person 2:  Well, considering [USOL-2b], I'd have to disagree with you.

The MO's would be so much shorter that way....

-- 
Bradster
He of many nicknames  "Arrrgh!  Whichever shall I choose?!  I would have
them all!!"
Leader of SAUCE- Society for the Appreciation of Ukyo, Cuteness Embodied
Founder of the Equal Opportunity Ecchi          Lurker in Akane's Dojo
Ranma Preview Gallery at http://members.aol.com/BClark8500/visions.htm