Subject: Ryouga and RT inconsistency
From: Don Wang <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 16:30:32 -0700

Brad:

> Something I consider an inconsistency on RT's part, since Ryoga doesn't
> even know who Ranma is when he challenges him to the bread-feud duel.
> If Ranma walks Ryoga home before the duel occurs, they should know each
> other.  It cannot happen after the duel should have occured, because the
> trip to China precludes that.  Not to mention the fact that Ryoga would
> have realized that it would be a good idea to have the duel after Ranma
> walked him home, since they're both together at the same time.

	Hmmm... the bread feud covers an indefinite amount of time.  It is
possible that even while they're on their daily competition for bread
and what not Ranma still manages to take Ryouga home on occasion.  And,
if you look at the path Ranma takes, they're pretty obscure... almost as
weird as if Ryouga had made the directions himself (run through subway,
jump on roof, go through people's house, etc...), so it is quite
possible Ranma is sort of playing with Ryouga anyway.  He really has no
reason to hate Ryouga, because he is the one who always come out ahead,
so it doesn't seem that unreasonable for him to help him getting home. 
His directions are pretty obscure, but probably a lot better than if
Ryouga tried to find his own way.  But still... I'd say Ranma's
confusing directions probably take no longer than normal walking
distance (they did beat Akane to the general vincity, I believe).  Ranma
probably assumed his sense of direction is bad, but three days is still
a stretch for any sane person to believe.

	A duel is usually pretty formal, so you need to arrange a time and
space and what not.  If you look at Ryouga's stories, he usually sends
some kind of directions and setting for where the next duel will
happen.  My best guess is that it is assumed a duel is not the same as a
brawl on the street, so they have to set aside a specific time to get
ready for it.   It's one thing Ryouga might jump Ranma over some trivail
issues while they meet on the street, but when it comes to a formal way
to settle it, it seems like it is always prearranged in some way.

Don
Akane's Dojo - http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/dwang/ad.htm
"My fingers are tingling.  My mouth is dry.  My eyes are burning!"
Cloud Strife, Final Fantasy VII