Superstrings!

to "'megami ML'" <megami@usagi.jrd.dec.com>
from jnutley@lvnexus.net (James Nutley)
subject Superstrings!
date Tue, 1 Oct 1996 20:11:11 -0700
Hanny Lee wrote:

>Well, they are from the 10th dimension.=20

{Guardian Angel: "No Jim, calm down, don't repond, it's just a comic =
book ML..."

Jim:"eeeeeerrrRRRRRRR!!!!!!!"

Guardian Angel: "They'll take you too seriously, you'll start a flame =
war!"

Jim: "Physics Major Programming Overload! CAN"T STAND IT!!!!!!!"

Guardian Angel: "NOOOO!"}

The tenth dimension is not a place, you can't be from there.
In the "Terrible Master Urd" episodes, Fujishima-sensei refers to =
Superstring=20
Theory.  Superstring Theory postulates that all matter (Protons, =
Electrons,
the Quarks they're composed of, etc....) are made of even tinyer =
"Superstrings",
very small things which resemble bits of string in that they vibrate, =
not in that=20
they necessarily look like bits of string, either tied in circles or =
segmented like
a bit of loose thread.

In order for a "Universal Superstring", as postulated in the comic, to =
exist,
you have to add another "Theory" although it's more of an idle proposal.
the late Dr. Feynman of CalTech "supposed" once in a lecture that it was
possible that a single elementary particle could compose the whole =
universe and
"map it out" sort of the way the electron gun paints the picture on your =
monitor,
by instantiating itself, one vocell at a time through the entire =
universe at a
GODLIKE rate of speed, so that we cant directly observe the cycles.  If =
one
string is the "Universal Superstring" then that string is every particle =
in the universe, sequentially.  =20

> In various books regarding this
>dimensional stuff, they say in each dimension, a new direction is =
added.

This is correct if you are describing the "Geometry" of extradimentional =
spaces.
If you are assuming Superstring Theory is correct for the purposes of a =
story,
then all mater is indeed actually ten dimensional, but we meter scale =
beings cannot directly sense dimensions 5 through 10 because they are so =
small they
only become "visible" at the size scale of an electron or quark.=20

Now to make the "Terrible Master Urd" storyline (I liked the story if =
anyone's
wondering) work we can decide that what the Lord of Terror actually =
causes to=20
appear is a representation of the "Universal Superstring" which will =
guide a=20
"10 dimensional scythe" to the string at just the right moment to catch =
it on it's cycle.  This is the part that, from a physicist's point of =
view, is hardest to
suspend disbelief over.

Later, when Skuld offers the Lord of Terror a toaster, that really =
wasn't such a
joke. What must be understood is that Skuld is really building something =
that
can cut ITSELF at an ultra small scale (smaller than a quark) and an =
ultra fast
time (While the "Universal Superstring" happens to be at just the right =
point on it's cycle through the Universe, not while it's representing a =
hydrogen atom in another galaxy, or a particle in the nylon of Urd's =
panties or a neuron in your brain, or what have you).  Skuld's SUCH a =
genius!  ^_^  Such a thing COULD
look like a toaster, it could look like almost anything if you were =
Goddess
enough to build it at all.

When the string is cut, THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE AND EVERYTHING IN IT =
IMMEDIATELY DISAPPEARS.  Thus, Goddesses and Demons must be independent =
of the "Universal Superstring".  Ygdrassil must keep a backup of
THE UNIVERSE on tape, or something; a ram disk with continuous update =
would
be necessary for the tasks in the story to be accomplished. =20

>So in a higher dimension, time could be a direction in which one moves
>freely, not restricted like beings in 3rd dimension.=20

Time is a one way dimension.  Some particles of antimatter have been =
described
as moving backward through time, although that is not the only possible
correct description.  However no particle matter has ever CHANGED =
DIRECTION
in time.

Speaking of Godlike powers, if, totally separate from how many =
dimensions your
particles are made of, you can change directions and move through time =
at will,
then the definitions of immortality discussed here are meaningless.  As =
an example, Belldandy can peek in and see that Keiichi is asleep, take a =
"walk"
and do a few hours as a Norn to the Vikings, walk forward, until she =
pops in on
Keiichi's and her Great, Great grandchildren's wedding, come back to the =
day
before today and spend an hour with Keiichi at the Motorclub Garage =
while
the Belldandy he had eaten breakfast with that morning was spending time =
with
Skuld, then come back to the evening she started an hour later and peek =
in on Keiichi again.  Now, if she can do that, "when" will she be =
unavailable to be
"by Keiichi's side".

>They probably age,
>just not in the sense that we are familiar with.=20

Sure, why not.  But if they can travel through time at will, only the =
length of time
their "internal" clock can tick makes any difference.

{Guardian Angel: "You've gone too far Jim, Belldandy would definitely =
not
approve."

Jim: "Ouch, that hurt!"}

Jim Nutley