Re: Questions

to megami@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from Theodore Hua <quark@u.washington.edu>
subject Re: Questions
date Tue, 2 Jul 1996 17:16:50 -0700 (PDT)
Konnichiwa!

On Sat, 29 Jun 1996, david l burkhead wrote:

>     Regarding kanji and furigana:  In my experience, hiragana by
>itself is almost unreadable when the vocabulary is at all complex.
>There are just too many homophones in Japanese to make easy
>understanding without either the contextual hints from spoken use or
>kanji to give different ways of writing homophones.  However it takes
>time to learn the many "required" kanji and the many more kanji that
>see use without being "officially" recognized.  Kanji + furigana seems
>to me to be a reasonable compromise, particularly if one is shooting
>for readers at a range of ages.

	That's correct.  For those readers who are just learning the
kanji, the furigana is helpful in that respect because it allows readers
to 'learn' the kanji as well.

>     That A!MS does not use furigana (except for the occassional name)
>that I've seen, would suggest to me that it's aimed at an adult
>readership, particularly since it seems to use a _lot_ of kanji.
>That's just a guess though, on my part.

	You're correct in your guess.  If I remember correctly, the manga
is primarily aimed at the young college/late high school crowd.

Ja ne!

Theo

Search field Search string

archive list