Re: The Time For Holy War Has Come...

to megami@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from erics@jna.com.au
subject Re: The Time For Holy War Has Come...
date Wed, 3 Jul 1996 08:25:12 +1000 (EST)
> From: yumin@pl.jaring.my (Nicholas Chan Yu Min)
> Subject: Re: The Time For Holy War Has Come...

> >But for a character story like AMS I have little preference
> >AS LONG AS IT'S A GOOD DUB. The problem is good dubs are hard to find,
>  >and for a really good anime (AMS) to be slaughtered as a dub is something
>  >akin to blasphemy. In short, I nominate Pete Ward Grand Admiral of the Anime
> >Nodub Fleet, for the duration.
>                                  -Drogn, "Of course you realize this means WAR!"

> Having not seen the dub for AMS!, I can only imagine that it's worse
> that Mara sacrificing you to the Demons if what all of you say is
> true.

  Well - Mara is a demoness herself. So you can throw yourself at her
mercy!

> In my opinion, AMS! is still undoubtedly the BEST OVA
> ever released to date.

  I wouldn't go as far as saying AMS is the "best OVA" without
carefully qualifying this statement. But there are some top notch
artwork and some gorgeous goddesses to boot. But I would agree with
your sentiments that it is a good OVA series.

> So if Animeigo has successfully tarnished
> the image of AMS!, especially to those who have not seen it
> before, it's time for war!

  Well - since you haven't seen the dub, does that mean you cannot
declare war?! I mean, how can you declare war unless you have been
offended. And how can you be offended unless you are there. And since
you haven't seen the dub, there is no reason for offence - except by
heresay and other opinions?

  I haven't seen the dubs either. I find it hard to imagine that dubs
can be any better than subs/japanese. But this has been proven wrong
with the releases of Tenchi and El Hazard (particularly EH - there is
a prevailing opinion that the script of EH has been improved upon from
the Japanese version!!!). So I will keep an open mind and an open
decision at this point in time.
  But before we start frothing and going rabid, the dub releases
aren't for "us" who prefer subs or can listen to the Japanese. It's
for the commercial aspect of keeping a company afloat. (You know, that
bit about reality... ^_-)
  So if you do end up purchasing the hybrid LD, you don't hae to watch
the dub. You do have a choice - I would expect a reasonably "normal"
person to exercise this option. You have not been forced at gun point
to purchase the LD (but alas, the subbed LDs are no longer in print -
so that weakens this arguement a bit). But you are definitely not
forced at gun point to watch the dub (I could think of worse dubs to
watch... ^_^).

  As I have said before, some dubs have certainly done a disservice to
the anime industry. History has been littered with examples of this
travesty. But in the last 2 years, there have been more quality dubs
and I would not spite myself to prove a point that "dubs sucks" when
there are far more people who will only purchase dubs and not bother
looking at subs.

  So please have a "reality check" and remind yourself that the dubs
exist for purposes other than your own existence. And that you still
do have a choice in watching the subs or dubs when you get the hybrid
LDs. I hope we are all reasonably intelligent to realise this.
  (I was going to say "mature" - but with anime as a hobby, that is
extremely difficult to justify!!! ^_^)

"Reality bites"...

--
 Eric Shen - erics@jna.com.au (K.Soc 1993) (AMS,TM!R,KOR) KWYJIBO
    "Pardon me while I change into something more formidable."

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited
MLtools V3.1 Copyright (c) Usagi Labs