cc Albert-Lunde@nwu.edu (Albert Lunde)
from slithey@pond.com (Slithey Tove)
subject Re: My Manga translations
date Wed, 6 Mar 1996 08:50:20 -0500
Albert-Lunde@nwu.edu (Albert Lunde) wrote:

>I'd be interested to see such translations, especially if they included
>romaji transcriptions. I'm not sure, however I can help you find
>mistakes as I'm just learning too (I've tried retranslating parts
>of the manga, but it is slow going for me).
>
>But the way Dark Horse is skipping around, I'm afraid I'll _have_
>to learn Japanese to get the whole story.

     I made that decision about two months ago, for the same reason, after
reading in rec.arts.manga that Dark Horse was skipping parts of A!MG.

     I've since realized that I would 'have to learn Japanese to get the
whole story' even if Dark Horse/Viz/Proteus were *not* skipping parts of the
orignal manga. There's subtext in the manga that just isn't easily
translatable into English: levels of politeness and courtesy, for example,
that give real insight into character development, but for which there are
no simple English equivalents.

     -- John

Search field Search string

archive list