Re: laserdisc recommendations...

to megami@usagi.jrd.dec.com
cc megami@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from Brian Huffaker <huffaker@utw.com>
subject Re: laserdisc recommendations...
date Sat, 2 Mar 1996 10:13:18 -0700 (MST)
On Sat, 2 Mar 1996 brainiac@MIT.EDU wrote:

Well, I got both Animeigo LD's, and part 4 in Japan, so am sorta
qualified to answer this.

> 1. get the original Japanese LDs...five of them at $66.00 a piece.

  Rather expensive, but have nice inserts+cover art.  part 4 has a big
picture of Belldandy with wings with faces of K1, Urd, and Skuld, and a
sheet with character sketches and stuff.  If you have any of the tenchi
muyou LD's you know the kind. Also, got no subtitles over the art if
that sort of thing bugs you.  but if you don't know japanese it can
be confusing at times.

> 2. Animego's Oh! My Goddess LDs...two contains all five OAVs. They
>    are subtitled. How's the cover art? $40.00 a piece.
>
> 3. Animego's Oh! My Goddess LD set...I think this one has two LDs
>    too but am not sure about the packaging. How's the cover art?
>    $70.00 total.

   I think this is the same as buying both of the LD's seperately, but
you get a discount for bulk purchase.  This is what I would recommend on
a price basis.  Inserts are rather plain, text only, liner notes
explaining some translation details.  Don't seem to as much of the fun
cultural differences as the UY notes.  Cover art is compared to the J.
version lower res and worse color reproduction.  Plus, with 2 LD's
instead of 5 there is less of it.
   After part 5 they do have several stills that would seem to be the art
that was included with the J. LD's.

> 4. Wait for Animego's hybrid release this June/July that
contains
>    both the subtitles and the dubbing. This is on 3 LDs, so that's
>    $40 x 3 = $120.

   Well, I wouldn't do this, but I don't like dubs as a general rule.

> Does anybody have any comment on this? In particular, is the
> Japanese CAV much superior to the CLV that Animego uses? Also,
> does any of them have soft caption instead of hard-burned
> subtitles? (One last question about laserdiscs...I need S-video
> to really take advantage of the quality, yes?)

   Animeigo's LD's have parts 3 and 4 on CAV, don't see any quality
diference, but CAV can do still frame with my cheap player.  All
subtitles are 'hard-burned'.  Don't know about the last question, what is
S-video.

  Brian Hufaker, DSWL (huffaker@utw.com)
  President and Founder  Friends of P-Chan
  AW # 467  Biff Tarkiss

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited