Re: Why a temple?

to megami@usagi.jrd.dec.com
cc "'Megami ML'" <megami@usagi.jrd.dec.com>
from Mary Rochelle Garcia <umgarci9@cc.UManitoba.CA>
subject Re: Why a temple?
date Tue, 2 Jan 1996 10:11:34 -0600 (CST)
On Sat, 30 Dec 1995, Chan Wei Lik wrote:

> From: 	Albert Lunde[SMTP:Albert-Lunde@nwu.edu]
> > Does it say in the manga why Belldandy picked (?) a temple for them to live
> > in? Why in the anime?
> >>Well I just looked over Chapter 3 of the manga, and the translation off
> the net. (I assume Dark Horse would have done this chapter, but
> I haven't laid hands on their early stuff yet.)<<
>
> They didn't. That's chapter three and DH didn't do that one.
>
> >>(In contrast, to the anime where he recognizes which temple Bel means
> at the end of hearing her directions; I think he recalls being there
> as a child even if he doesn't know all that happened. Likewise
> I think the image when Bel prays is her remembering.)<<
>
> Of course he remembers, he woke up there after Bell-chan mind-wiped him. It would
of course leave an impression since he couldn't remember how he got there, not to
mention a whole chunk of missing time ('there is a hole in your mind'). There was
an image? All I saw was a shpere of light.

> >She helps K. when he slips while fixing the roof, but overall
> the repair is less dramatic.<
>
> The reconstruction in the anime was most likely based on another chapter, 40. Where
Belldandy put it back together after it was completely destroyed.

> >I think the restoration of the temple in the anime is strikely beautiful.
>
> I would nominate it as the most beautiful use of magic ever filmed.
>
> >>But I do agree that the association of a temple as a place for
> goddesses makes sense, and it provides a neat out for them having
> lots of space instead of living in some cramped studio apartment...
> (with a single bed? ... maybe living in a big temple was the
> only way to avoid K. dying of a nosebleed by the end of the
> first volume ;)<<
>
> Yup, I'm sure he knew there would be other characters coming and going even in those
early days.

> >>I get the sense that some of the japanese "kami" are spirits
> associated with a particular place; so a goddess-in-residence
> seems quite in character.<<
>
> Any spirits in the temple would like Bell-chan anyway.

or Bel-chan may have picked the temple scene to help trigger K1
sub-conscious mind of their childhood meeting... (see OAV #5 (I think its
#5) when Bel-chan and K1 were playing "hide and seek" there)...

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited
MLtools V3.1 Copyright (c) Usagi Labs