[megami:31084] Re: AMS TV

to megami@usagi.org
from Dennis Goens II <grrdraxin_r@yahoo.com>
subject [megami:31084] Re: AMS TV
date Fri, 25 Mar 2005 00:14:21 -0800 (PST)
--- RaRaxaxarraraxapaulahoo.com> wrote:
> Well, My hopes of ever catching up with the series
> with the help of my local sources was gone, they tell
> me that it will be quite a while before they "have it"
>
> isn't the series licensed now? how do you guys
> download it now?

I haven't DLDed any until now since animesuki.com claimed it had been
licensed by MediaBlasters. I never expected that to happen, I thought
Geneon might pick it up since they already had the movie. Of course ADV
or Manga could have grabbed it too, or even Central Park Media. Let us
see how these guys fair with it.

My biggest gripe is with voice matching, dialog quality, and
translation accuracy both with spoken and subtitle dialog. At least
fansubs give you their interpretation and a short lesson into why
something was said the way it was.

A prime example: Mini goddess episode with the fan-mail thing from
Gan-chan. More precisely, what Urd picked up on while he was reading
the 'forged' fan-mail, in the original translation it was a matter of
dialect that Gan-chan uses, in the domestic release it was the word
"rat" meaning gan-chan and those like him.

A serious mistranslation in my book. Maybe acceptable in the dub
format, but not with the subtitles. Besides, I believe that having the
sound in dub and having the accurate translations in subtitles (english
with english subtitles) gives the viewer a bit more information on the
situation going on.

Matching the lip flaps is okay, but they must also be aware that
sometimes even the Japanese voice actors don't always follow lip-flaps.
So it's not that high a priority. of course, changing of certain
"in-jokes" might be acceptable IF the replacement says almost the same
thing, and can be made to give the same impression as the original joke
did for the japanese audience.

But now I'm beginning to bore myself, so I'll call off my dog Rant now.
"Outside Rant. Go bark at the neighbors for a while."

Later

Dennis "GrrDraxin" Goens - The Lost God
"We are the Otaku. You will be animized  (anime-ized). Your visual
and audible distinctiveness  will be added to our own. You will adapt
to being collected and viewed by us. Resistance is unlikely (futile)."
                                            --- Lord GrrDraxin
Sig Revision version 3.5
Copyright © 1999-2005 GrrDraxin Industries

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited
MLtools V3.1 Copyright (c) Usagi Labs