Re: Age of otaku

to megami@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from SHIMIZU KENJI <s991775@yamata.icu.ac.jp>
subject Re: Age of otaku
date Thu, 2 Nov 1995 16:08:47 +0900 (JST)

On Wed, 1 Nov 1995 pauldoi@iastate.edu wrote:

>   It certainly does NOT mean me!  On my last trip to Chicago's Yaohan
> (about 6 hr from here), I picked up a copy of AMS color manga #3, a
> Japanese gun magazine (appropriately entitled "GUN"), and a copy of
> Ribbon.  The lady at the counter bagged the whole works without comment,
> but I did get some VERY strange looks from some of the other customers,
> especially the college student behind me in line.  O.K., so I like
> reading gun magazines and little girls manga; you have a problem with
> that?

 ...You know, in Japan (at least in Tokyo) you see many people reading
manga, but I've never seen a grown-man reading a "Sho-jo Manga"
(translated as "little/young girls manga"). But then again, I've noticed
that people who's really into manga (including older man and women) tend
to show some interest in these things. My guess is, there's just too many
mangas being published here, at a cheap price, so maybe that's why we
don't pay much attention to shojo manga. (I guess it's different NOW in the
States huh?)

>   Perhaps I need to get out more often...

 I think so too. Also, try reading other Japanese comic-books and
comic-magazinese (Manga). You might run into some new interesting stuff.

					Kenji Shimizu

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited