Re: OMG fan age poll [WAS: Re: my decision]

to megami@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from Sailor Gallifrey <omega@io.org>
subject Re: OMG fan age poll [WAS: Re: my decision]
date Wed, 1 Nov 1995 19:12:23 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 1 Nov 1995, lg - Loyd Goodbar wrote:

> At 13.47 1995=B710=B731 -0500, you wrote:
> >=09Say, I wonder what is the average age of the people on this list or=
=20
> >of fans of OMG!?  It was said somewhere that, generally, fans grow out o=
f=20
> >anime when they reach 25, but considering that I started when I was 25=
=20
> >makes me wonder.  Does that make me immature? ^_^
>=20
> Hey, I'm 25, and I just started watching anime a few months ago. I don't
> believe cartoons are for children only (an interesting thread on r.a.a.),
> and am looking for intelligent, well-thought-out stuff. Good for me, I cu=
> my teeth on OMG! I started out with some of the best, and so I want the b=
est!

=09Whoops! It seems since I posted the original comment that I've=20
been misunderstood.  I meant that I was a late-bloomer, and I'm immature=20
because I started my anime phase so late in life. :)

>=20
> I don't think cartoons (or anime...) are immature, or make one immature.
> But, television's use of cartoons (marketing) and perception of consumers
> (stupid), I'm not surprised by the attitude, Then again, if cartoons are
> immature, why are the violent parts cut (Warner Bros)? However, I am glad
> for more mature-oriented cartoons, also those aimed for the older age gro=
ups
> (Tiny Toons, Animaniacs) that make you think once in a while. Most of the
> anime I've seen makes me think a LOT!

=09Earthworm Jim (voice by Dan 'Homer Simpson' Castellaneta)=20
rules!  Enough of that: I agree that cartoons should not be for children=20
only--after all we're all OMG fans here (not that children *shouldn't*=20
watch OMG).  Watching YTV (the youth channel in Canada), I've noticed=20
that many people who watch the cartoons on that station are adults like=20
me (and they run Sailor Moon (twice daily), Hello Kitty, and  Speed=20
Racer).  Maybe in Canada it's slightly different, and it might be=20
because of the Simpsons...

=09Like many people have stated on this list, I will most likely=20
not grow out of anime.  After all, I still listen to Gary Numan and=20
still have my Micronauts toy set! ;)

=09-- Omega

omega@io.org
small sig, eh?