Re: my decision

to megami@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from Biggles Dictates a Letter <fwong@students.uiuc.edu>
subject Re: my decision
date Wed, 1 Nov 1995 11:32:06 -0600 (CST)
> On Tue, 31 Oct 1995, Sailor Gallifrey wrote:
> > 	Say, I wonder what is the average age of the people on this list or
> > of fans of OMG!?  It was said somewhere that, generally, fans grow out of
> > anime when they reach 25, but considering that I started when I was 25
> > makes me wonder.  Does that make me immature? ^_^
>
> Feh, I'm 27. I *wish* I had recognized Speed Racer, G-Force, and
> Starblazers for what they were (when I was just a little tyke) but it
> wasn't until I was about 21 or so that I finally came to know "anime" and
> become the person I am today.  :)

Boy...I feel like a young'un now.  :)  I'm 20, but I've been following
anime on and off since I was about 7.  I still remember stuff like
Captain Harlock (when it was shown once on channel 20 (Chicago) way back
when; I still remember the theme song, and I haven't seen an episode of
Harlock since then!), Star Blazers (which I detested; I'm sorry, but it
had the cheesiest theme song in the world, and I hated the "they only
have XXX days to return to Earth" every episode), Thunderbirds 2086
(remember this?), Battle of the Planets, Saber Rider and the Star
Sheriffs, Voltron, Tranzor Z, Robotech (the one which really got me
interested in Japanese Animation; I didn't know of the word "anime" at
the time  ^_^), and some movie which was shown once on TV (channel 60?
Back when WPWR was channel 60, not 50) that involved a giant robot called
Dynamo.  (Does *ANYBODY* remember seeing that show *EVER*???)
	I hit a long lull after Robotech left the air; about the only
thing even vaguely anime-related that I followed was the Revell model
kits that were produced back then.  However, somebody showed me Bubblegum
Crisis my second year in college, and that sent me down the path I'm on
today.  ^_^  No, Belldandy didn't start me on this road, but she cemented
it for me.  ;)

> One does not "outgrow" anime. Once you're a fan, you can never turn back.

I'm willing to agree with that.  I never really lost interest in it, even
during the lull I had.  I've been a fan (more or less) since I was a kid
(okay, arguably I'm still a kid...^_-), and I probably always will be a
fan.  It doesn't bother me any, and most of my friends don't mind.  Then
again, they shouldn't bug me about being really into something, seeing as
most of my friends work at the Bristol Renaissance Faire over the
summer...:)

Ja mata ne!
- Felix

--
Felix					"Dare ka ga itta,'Koi wo sureba
fwong@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu			 samishiku naru' to..."

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited