Re: Re: Norn's in New Anime

to megami@ml.usagi.org
from David Mandalis <mandalis@earthlink.net>
subject Re: Re: Norn's in New Anime
date Wed, 30 Jul 2003 06:35:37 -0400 (GMT)
Hi

Actually, the AMG group would make short work of the Ragnorak group.
Belldandy probably would be pretty upset seeing an innocent mortal being
vitimized the way she was and fix things all by herself.  In the Ragnorak
series, Odin resembles Hild more than anyone else.  Also, there is a lot of
demonic creatures under control of the Norns, which make them look more like
Mara's buddies than anyhting else.  Maybe we have a group of the
anti-goddesses here.  Also, in the dialoque they indicate that they were
doing what they were doing not for any set of principles but out of
expediancy.  Belldandy at least has demonstrated principles beyond expediancy
and is willing to break with authority (and sufferr the consequences) when
she believes she would hurt (unneccessarily) someone else to solve her
problems.  Also, the Norn's in Ragnorak have not shown any powers close to
what the AMG sisters have in the way of a battle arsenal.  I did play the
sound bite where Loki pernounces Vervandi's name more than a few times and it
did sound more like "Belldandy" than anything else.  Now I am aware of the
d(o) on ending words as a normal part of speech patterns, as well as the
infamous "L/R", but the VA's happen to handle "Loki" and "Frey/Freya" quite
well and the "V/B" sibilance seems to be only to appear in
Belldandy/Vervandi.

But all in all it's the best researched work yet on any series that I have
seen that pulls in the Norse mythos.

Also, if you want another Japanese take on the Norns, check out "Thone of
Blood" which was a retelling of Macbeth and quite good.

Separate amusing item, according to most Norse mythology Loke was
Fenris/Fenrir mother (don't ask), in the series he's addressed as "Daddy".  I
guess they did not want this to be a "Yoi" anime.

Dave M.