Re: Norn's in New Anime

to <megami@ml.usagi.org>
from "'CuSO4' Yung" <cuso4@cuso4.com>
subject Re: Norn's in New Anime
date Tue, 29 Jul 2003 14:11:31 +0800
> From: "David Mandalis" <mandalis@earthlink.net>
> I was watching a funsub of the current running series "mantek
> Loki ragnorak".  This series follows a lot of Norse mythology
> and in ep 14 as a teaser the Norn's show up (all 3) and it's
> implied they are there to do a hit!!

I have also watched MaLoki ep.14.  All the 3 seiyuu for the norns
have the same kanji "ma" in their names.  They are : Suzuki Mariko,
Nodo Mariko, Nakahara Mai.

> The fan-subbers translated them to be Skuld Urd and Vervandi.
> But listening to the VA's pronunciations (Skuld(o), Urd(o), and
> Belldandy.  I think that Vervandi's name to the japanese public
> has been morphed permanently to the form from OMG.

Not necessary.

The spelling of the name of the Norn of present is Verthandi.
Since Japanese pronounciation system cannot cater for the "V",
it is usually pronounced as if it is a "B".  E.g. Vivian =>
Bibian.  Same principal applies to "TH" => "D".

Japanese does not have the "roll your tounge" thing, so all "R"
becomes inter-changable with "L".  Also, all sound must ended
with "A", "E", "I", "O", "U", or "N".  A single "L"/"R" is
usually prounced as "Lu"/"Ru".

So, Ve-r-tha-n-di => Be-ru-da-n-di or Be-lu-dan-di.

> I was more interested in the vocal  pronunciations than anything
> else though, any comments??

See above.

--
'CuSO4' Yung