Re: i'm sure you can help me

to megami@ml.usagi.org
from John Hummel <dpaladin@gamerspress.com>
subject Re: i'm sure you can help me
date Tue, 02 Jul 2002 09:44:38 -0600
Let me see...

All right.  First, for importing games, I've had good luck with National
Console Support ( http://www.ncsx.com/ ) - I picked up Sakura Taisen 1
for the Dreamcast through these guys, no muss, no fuss.

Second, for the AMG trivia game, look here:
http://www.ncsx.com/ncs112700/quiz_ah_my_goddess.htm .  I might have to
pick this one up someday "just because" (even though I don't
read/speak/understand a lick of Japanese).

Third, what is Sakura Taisen.  Sakura Taisen (aka "The Cherry Wars") is
a strategy/dating game from Sega. The animation is done by Kosuke
Fujishima, who created/drew Oh! My Goddess and You're Under Arrest! (and
he seems to have a penchant for !'s.)

Sakura Taisen revolves around the early 20th century, where you protect
Japan from demons, and the only known defense is giant steam driven
robots piloted by girls with psykic (I never could spell that word)
abilities.

In order to make sure the ladies perform their best, you have to keep
them happy (enter the dating sim area). By day, your troop is literally
that - a troop of players putting on plays at a theater. However, when
trouble strikes, the ladies get into their robots, and you have to
direct them on the field of battle.

The series is *extremely* popular in Japan, and up until now American
gamers had dispaired of ever seeing it (or the 3 sequels that have been
on the Saturn, Dreamcast, and within a few years, the Playstation 2).

Most people who are looking forward to this news (well, me at least)
assume that the game they're bringing to the US is Sakura Taisen 1 for
the Playstation 2. At the moment, we don't know which game is coming to
the US, only that it will be named Sakura Taisen. It could be the
Gameboy Color games for all we know (please, God, no.  Well, maybe ;)).

There's an OAV Sakura Taisen series, and I think there's a movie/tv
series version that may come to the US on DVD.

(PS: For our friends outside the US, please forgive me for focusing on
that country, as that's where I live, and being a stupid American, I
forget there are other areas out there in the world. Well, except for
Japan. And England. And Australia, but that's because they export the
best actors.)

I might have made some errors here (since I've never played the
game/seen the OAV, but I plan on doing that this week since my wife is
out of down and I can hog the DVD player, which I've been using to watch
"Seven Samurai", which is one damn long movie).

Personally, I'm excited to play this game in English, and hope they have
both a sub/dub track on it (or just sub).

--
--
John Hummel

Search field Search string