Re: Tech FAQ v0.3

to megami@ml.usagi.org
from Brian Welch <bwelchz7@yahoo.com>
subject Re: Tech FAQ v0.3
date Thu, 6 Jun 2002 14:35:30 -0700 (PDT)
--- Chan Wei Lik <weimin@pl.jaring.my> wrote:
> >From: Brian Welch [bwelchz7@yahoo.com]
>
> Good improvements. See, I told you it was no problem to post it as
> one article.

Yeah, well... ^_^;

> >2D.  WHAT IS THE DEMONS' COMPUTER SYSTEM?
> >Perhaps, then, Nidhog goes through Yggdrasil when a demon performs
> magic?
>
> I don't think so. If Nidhog needed to go through Yggdrasil for
> demons to perform magic, then it would be all too easy for the gods

> to abort any magic
> that might be harmful to their interests. If any such links
> existed, they are likely to be covert.

Yet Mara was able to create the mini ninjas during the time when
Yggdrasil was emulating the universal superstring. There was no
superstring to control. Unless she used other methods to create the
ninjas. I'll reword to give both possibilities equal weight.

> >If so, this might explain why demons are not allowed to hack
> Yggdrasil
>
> Not Yggdrasil, but the Time Control System specifically.

I think it's Yggdrasil in general. The demonic high council (or
whoever they were) mentioned that it was forbidden to interfere with
Yggdrasil. There was no mention of the Time Control System
specifically.

> >How difficult are spells?
> >The most powerful spells must be sung and have many, sometimes
> hundreds of, parts which must be sung simultaneously.
>
> Not simultaneously but in step or 'in tune'.

I think I'll use "in step".

> >3E.  WHAT ARE SEALS AND HOW DO THEY WORK?
>
> I think you should not have discussed seals and limiters in the
> same section and certainly not using the same word.

Limiters are a form of seal so they should be in the same section,
though I see your point of discussing them separately and using
different terminology. I'll make a change and repost the new section.

> >4A.  WHEN CAN A GODDESS ACQUIRE AN ANGEL?
> >Normally, before a goddess is allowed to acquire an angel egg, she
> must
> first demonstrate that she is sufficiently powerful to control an
> angel.
>
> Lose this first sentence and replace it with the second paragraph
> of this section. More straightforward that way.

I've made the change and this section flows better, now.

> >4B.  HOW POWERFUL ARE ANGELS?
>
> This is speculation on my part, but I think a goddess divides her
> power if
> she 'splits' and multiplies it if she uses her angel.
> For example, say Bell were to cast magic that used 10% of her
> available
> power. If she were to use Holybell, they would each use only 5%
> power to
> achieve the same effect, halving Bell's power requirements.
> Therefore,
> Holybell could double Bell's power if both used 100% power and Rind
> could
> triple hers with both angels out.

This paragraph disappeared during the reorganization. I'll repost the
Angel section for review.

> >When an angel is forcibly removed from its host the process is so
> physically and psychologically painful that the host is rendered
> unconscious for a considerable period of time.
>
> More like comatose until the angel is returned.

More accurate. I'll make the change.

> >It is clear that once a goddess has bonded with her angel she
> doesn't want another.
>
> It might be safer to say 'it is almost certain that'

The only evidence we have have is Urd's experience, and she basically
appologized to World of Elegance for ever trying for another angel.

What's the general consensus out there? Should I change this to 'It's
almost certain that'?

> >It also requires considerable self discipline to manifest 2 angels
> simultaneously.
>
> It seems that the goddess has to really, really need (like from the
> bottom
> of her heart kind of thing) both angels' strength to get them to
> manifest
> together. Otherwise it would be like shifting her attention from
> one angel
> to the other, causing the first to receed while the other
> manifested.
> Inferring from this, manifesting 3 angels at once could be
> exponentially
> more difficult than 2. This could imply that goddess with multiple
> angels
> are likely rare or nonexistent in Heaven.

Good point. This is backed up by Rind's questions about what Cool
Mint wanted in order to come out. I'll be more descriptive, here.

Now that you have me thinking about this, I wonder how easy it's
going to be for Belldandy to call Holy Bell. Is our brave goddess in
for another period of soul searching? This could be worse than during
Peorth's first appearance.

> >In one case the angels are apparently twins hatched from the same
> egg
>
> I'd suggest 'possibly' instead of 'apparently'

I'm going to stick with 'apparently'. Chapter 165 is entitled
"Together with the Twin Angels". Also, Spearmint and Cool Mint have
opposite wings, while Belldandy's two angels have both wings. It's
not exactly the same thing, but I think the evidence is pretty good
that the Mints are twins.

> >which can be implanted into an unconscious and angel-less goddess
>
> 'Angel deprived' would be more accurate.

Sounds like Skuld before she stole the egg, to me. "I've been angel
deprived!" ^_-

I see your point, though. Better description, anyone?

> This is better than previous. But the lack of spoilers makes it
> feel rather vague.

I'm thinking the same thing, as much as I dread having to root out
all the references. Right now, it sounds like the FAQ is saying "Just
blindly accept our greater knowledge of the series."

>If you were to make this a web page, you could
> add a link to each section that supplied detailed evidence of who,
> what, when, where and how.

Posting html here would be a problem. I might footnote the plain text
version and include a separate list of footnotes, just so everyone
can check my references and suggest ones I missed.

Brian W.

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited