Re: megami M new OMG scans.

to <megami@ML.usagi.org>
from "Steven Avery" <stevenav@worldnet.att.net>
subject Re: megami M new OMG scans.
date Sun, 3 Mar 2002 08:50:26 -0800
----- Original Message -----
To: <megami@ML.usagi.org>
Sent: Sunday, March 03, 2002 1:29 AM
Subject: Re: megami M new OMG scans.

> >A few things,
> >
> >#1 Note that the scans of a quite inferior quality...
>
> OK, I'll give ya that.  Although they seem to have enhanced most of the
> Kanji somehow (don't they appear sharper than the rest?).
Thats because they are Jpgs.. Jpegs are a lossey (loss-ee .. yeah I know..
it's not really a word.. except within the graphics design world, it means
that it's a format wherein graphical data is compressed by removal of
redundant data) In reality, some of the Kanji are actually being severly
distorted by the algorythym playing havok with them. I think it also did a
real number on any Kana in the work, I only gave them a brief overlook.. but
the Kana appear to be largely missing.
 And I wasn't
> aware that many chapters are missing; I've only recently found the
> site.  These are valid arguments, but I think their goal of allowing new
> readers into the fold could be better accomplished by providing OLDER
> chapters of the manga.  Having the most current story available mere weeks
> after its release seems unnecessary if their patrons are newbies.

Well, In Japan they dont' really keep comics like we do in the states. I'd
expect that they're more likely to get customers interested by showing the
newest and bestest... The real Otakus will be the only ones interested in
back orders. Everyone else would be more interested in the newer comics.
Hence, giving the audience a peek (albit a poorly scanned one) of current
goings on will likely draw more customers in. But thats just my opinion.

> >#2 I take a REAL issue with your high handed, and frankly ignorant,
attitude
> >about the whole existence of the translations done for the manga.
>
> Reread my post, please.

I did, and now I see what you're saying... It's just that the way you'd said
it, I contrued as meaning that you we willing to tolerate the text
translations, even though you'd felt they were wrong. Just an error on my
part for misunderstanding. I appologize on that front.

However, you have to understand also that fair use laws (and how the people
believe artistic rights should be protected) in Japan are entirely different
than the way we see them in the states.

For example, the Doujinshi that exist in japan, using characters owed by
respected authors like Fujishima are considered fair game and are entirely
legal. That's why those abominable things exist. Try that in the states
(creating such things) with a popular comic and you'd get sued in a new york
minute by dc or marvel (for example). But they take it with equinimity
there... because that's part of their cultural make up.

Heck they even give creative nods to that market, believe it or not. Take
the AMS movie for example.. Where Bell is changing her outfit in that alley
on campus after losing her memory. I'm told that them showing her in various
thinks like the highschool girl sailor outfit was an actual nod to the
people that do the various doujinshi and have bell wearing such things...
Strange... strange strange strange

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited