RE: Megami Technical FAQ

to <megami@ml.usagi.org>
from "Chan Wei Lik" <weimin@pl.jaring.my>
subject RE: Megami Technical FAQ
date Tue, 5 Feb 2002 02:00:49 +0800
> From: Brian Welch [mailto:bwelchz7@yahoo.com]

>>Thanks for the feedback, sir! I don't want this to be
the "'This is how Brian Welch views AMG' Technical
FAQ". I want to keep this to strictly canonical
inferences; just the facts, as it were.<<

Which is why I will refrain from my unsubstantiated speculations on the
nature of reality in the AMG universe. Though acceptable for a fanfic,
they don't fit here.

> >1. HOW DOES THE AMG UNIVERSE WORK?

Since you're looking for alternative titles to this one, how about
'Nature of the AMG Universe'?

> Or, maybe they have their own system? I don't remember any hints in
>that direction. Do you remember anything along these lines?

All I can remember is that they use an independent system for energy.
Also, we don't know the specifics of Mara's spell at the time.

>>During the moon rock bracelet episodes Belldandy? mentioned that
goddesses use energy which has been processed by
Yggdrasil. They can't utilize raw energy (what kind?
can't remember) very well.<<

The 'processed energy' could be like the difference between raw and
refined petroleum. One is good for paving roads while the other makes
your car run.

>I probably should put something in about this, as well. Has anyone
>taken a hard look at differenct energy sources canonically?

I can't remember, but I don't think they even mentioned how the
goddesses gain energy from alternate sources or why they use such
different sources.

> What are your thoughts on Yggdrasil-Nidhog interaction?

I already mentioned them to you in my emails about your fic 'Born Again'
around New Year, remember?
I tend to think of the Yggdrasil as a legitimate network while the
demons run Nidhog and try to 'hack' into Yggdrasil to expand their
influence. As in our world of hackers vs sysadmins, the gods are
probably closing holes as fast as they can patch them while demons
constantly make or find more holes.
So far, the clues to that interaction are in the Welsper and Hild story
arcs.

>> You've got a good point about demonic
spells; the FAQ should address them more thoroughly,
even though we know next to nothing about them. <<

You could expand it to magic in general. It's not exclusive to gods and
demons in AMG. Witness that exorcist girl's inadvedant creation of
summoning spells in vol 9.

>> And of course, there's just no defense against the "Goddesses' Song"

>This is from the movie?

You watched it even before I did right? How could you not remember that
scene?

> I think I'm going to stick strictly to the manga canon. Should mention

>that in the intro to the FAQ.

I'd like to point out that spell-programs also take the form of songs in
the manga then.

Hope you will post updated versions of your FAQ again! Things like this
are material for lively discussion.

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited