French and Peorth - Translations again

to Megami ML <megami@ml.usagi.org>
from Brian Welch <bwelchz7@yahoo.com>
subject French and Peorth - Translations again
date Thu, 6 Dec 2001 12:12:57 -0800 (PST)
--- Chan Wei Lik <weimin@pl.jaring.my> wrote:
> > From: EdwChang@aol.com [mailto:EdwChang@aol.com]
>
> >French phrases? I don't recall her using French
> phrases in the movie...
> > or is this another extraneous invention of Dark
> Horse?
>
> Yes it is, so I heard. And one of their poorer ones.

I didn't mind Studio Proteus having her drop a French
phrase here and there.  Sure it isn't in the original,
but it does seem like the kind of thing Peorth might
do if she were speaking English instead of Japanese.
Do the Japanese switch to another language if they
want to sound suave and sophisticated but don't know
how to do it in their own language?  Americans tend to
use French.  Either that or fake a British accent.

I also liked the way Urd calls Peorth "Flower Girl"
though that's not in the original Japanese, either, as
far as I can tell.  It's just what you might expect
Urd to call her.

In my opinion, both of these changes enhance the
characters, at least from an American perspective.
I'm willing to cut them some slack for that.
Studio Proteus has made some other changes, ones which
were more annoying because they added nothing to the
story or gave readers misinformation.  The ones I can
think of right now are:

1.  Switching "coffee" for "tea" in the story where
Keiichi gets strung out on caffeine.  Most people know
that they don't drink coffee much in the East, and if
they don't know, it's going to sound strange when they
do find out.

2.  The doppelganger for guy-off-the-street switch in
the fancy restaurant food fight.

3.  The Almighty sealing the Lord of Terror rather
than Urd's birthright.

4.  Switching "my seal" for "your seal" during Devil
Urd's confrontation with Belldandy in "The Devil in
Miss Urd."

I guess I can cut them some slack if they misinform
for the good of the ambiance in the storyline.

As for Peorth not using French in the movie, I'm not
surprised.  In the movie, Peorth is working in the
capacity of sys admin, not a position where you want
to sound all lovey dovey.  I'll be surprised to hear
her use French in the Welsper story arc for the same
reason.  She isn't trying to impress anyone in either
storyline.

Brian W.

Search field Search string

archive list