RE: megami ML matome okuri (Discussion on the father)

to Megami ML <megami@ml.usagi.org>
from Brian Welch <bwelchz7@yahoo.com>
subject RE: megami ML matome okuri (Discussion on the father)
date Fri, 3 Aug 2001 09:17:56 -0700 (PDT)
--- Chan Wei Lik <weimin@pl.jaring.my> wrote:
> > From: EdwChang@aol.com [mailto:EdwChang@aol.com]
>
> >Those interested in the Encyclopedia can find an
> almost semidaily-updated
> >English translation of the Encyclopedia on my site
>
> The 'pedia is great, but is it just my browser or
> did you set it to blue on blue?

My browser (IE5) shows the same thing.  Great site you
have, by the way, even if I have to concentrate to
read it because of the colors! ^_-

> >In reference to the other point: Yes, I would like
> >it to be pointed out how a high-level demon could
> >end up with a lower-level god.
>
> A duel in the field of battle, one of them getting
> captured by the other
> side, or perhaps even a diplomatic function? She
> doesn't even need to be
> high-level at the time.

Or, taking Norse canon, the "lower-level" god dies,
gets sent to her realm and they spend some extended
time with each other.

On an interesting note, Hild seems to be conflicted
over her relationship with Urd/Belldandy/Skuld's
father.  Here are some excerpts:

Ch. 135, Edward Chang's translation:

Hild's first couple of words upon seeing Belldandy and
Skuld are "Ano hito sokkuri!", or "(You look) just
like that person!"

Ch. 136, Stephen Lee's translation:

"Hild, may I ask you a question?" Belldandy says.
Hild gives a disinterested look. "What is it? Why did
we separate?"

"No," Belldandy replies, "Why did you wait until the
phone call?"

Hild answers, "I was not exactly waiting--"

"Is it so?  If that's the case, well, that's also
fine," says Belldandy.

"......You are _really_ like him," Hild comments. "I
_really_ hated those points of his."  "Me and
Urd-chan, you know," she goes on, "is just right like
this."

So, on the one hand Hild says she _really_ hated some
traits about the father (specifically the traits that
Belldandy shares/shared with him - makes sense) but on
the other hand what are the first words out of her
mouth when she sees Belldandy and Skuld?  She starts
talking about this guy whom she supposedly hates - at
least parts of him.  I'm thinking that it's also
likely that she still has feelings for him.  Why else
would she keep bringing him up when nobody else is
talking about him?

Does this behavior remind you of another goddess?  I'm
thinking about Urd's initial reaction when Troubadour
showed up.  She ran out and gave him a hug - then came
to her senses and blew him off.  Given his subsequent
behavior during his visit, I think they're really
through this time - or at least Urd is.  She doesn't
seem to be happy playing second fiddle in her guy's
life any more than Belldandy does.

Anyway, I just thought it was interesting to see Hild
acting as if she might still harbor some feelings for
the father, whoever he is/was.

> >Belldandy's ability to even put up a decent fight
> against Hild (the
> spade/heart kisses thing) supports this.
>
> You overlooked an important point. Hild was loaded
> down with more limiters than even Belldandy at the
> time. If Belldandy (unlimited) could fight Hild
> (also unlimited) to a standstill, I will concede
> your point.

Belldandy at one point mentioned (to Keiichi?) that
all those pieces of jewelry in Hild's hair were
probably power limiters.  Belldandy only wears one.
Even with all those limiters, though, Hild radiates
enough power to knock out Sigil (robot girl) for the
whole time Hild was there.

> >Of course, arguing about this is all moot; until
> >Fujishima-san says otherwise, we'll just have to
> >stick to our own assumptions and see what
> > turns out.
>
> Assumptions are fine. I just want to know why you
> feel that Japanese phrase
> implied their father was kamisama.
>
> >Oh, and kindly don't call me "Eddy". Only two
> >people I know do, and they're both jerks.
>
> Sorry Edward.

Memories of Sam calling The Newcomer "Darcy" when he
was really ticked off during one of their epic
arguments come to mind.  I don't see you guys going
there, though.

Brian W.

Search field Search string

archive list