Re: megami ML matome okuri

to megami@ml.usagi.org
from Brian Welch <bwelchz7@yahoo.com>
subject Re: megami ML matome okuri
date Thu, 2 Aug 2001 08:36:06 -0700 (PDT)
--- 'CuSO4' Yung <cuso4@cuso4.com> wrote:
> First, disclaimer : I am pretty much neutral on
> whether Kami-sama is the Norn's father or not.

Hey, good (surprised) to see you weighing in on such a
controversial point!  Neutrality is overrated.  Polite
disagreement leads to a much more interesting ML. ^_^

> > From: <EdwChang@aol.com>
> > Later, in chapter 136, Belldandy asks Hild if she
> > can ask her something. Hild anticipates the
> > question is "Doushite wakaretakatte koto?",
> > meaning "Why (did we) split?" Again with the
> > assumptions (and assuming is dangerous business),
> > it is reasonable to say that Belldandy would have
> > a personal interest in such a question if Hild
> > guesses this.

I thought Hild was assuming Belldandy wanted to know
why Hild and Urd split up, not Hild and Urd's father.
Belldandy definitely takes a personal interest in
Urd's emotional well-being.  The "Another Me" chapter
just published in DH is a prime example.

> > This sort of pattern is not uncommon in mythology,
> > and by pattern I mean man and woman are together,
> > man splits from woman, woman and man now in direct

> > opposition. Putting kamisama and Hild as Urd's
> > parents might be weird, but if anything, it
> > explains both her immense power and her lack of
> > focus (which relegates her to second-class goddess

> > status).
>
> I never see any evidence saying that Urd was being
> relegated.  she might have never been granted a
> first-class license.

Um, I think he meant "relegates" more in the "limits"
sense than the "demoted" sense.

Brian W.

Search field Search string

archive list