Re: megami ML matome okuri

to <megami@ml.usagi.org>
from "'CuSO4' Yung" <cuso4@cuso4.com>
subject Re: megami ML matome okuri
date Thu, 2 Aug 2001 13:48:28 +0800
First, disclaimer : I am pretty much neutral on whether Kami-sama
is the Norn's father or not.

> From: <EdwChang@aol.com>
> With that said: Hild's first couple of words upon seeing Belldandy
> and Skuld are "Ano hito sokkuri!", or "(You look) just like that
> person!" Of course, who "that person" is is not mentioned, but the
> implication is that 1. "that person" is Skuld and Belldandy's, but
> not Urd's, parent

Why not ?  There is a possibilty that Hild might think
Belldandy/Skuld look like Urd's father.

> and 2. Hild knows him or her (father or mother?) well. Considering
> that Belldandy and Skuld are full goddesses, both of their parents
> must be gods. It is reasonable to assume that Hild would not be
> overly familiar with any god except an extremely powerful one, or
> even "her counterpart".

Of course Hild knew Belldandy/Skuld's father well.  They have Urd
"produced".  And if point 1 above is referring to Urd's father,
then whether Hild knew Belldandy/Skuld's mother is not an issue
here.

> Later, in chapter 136, Belldandy asks Hild if she can ask her
> something. Hild anticipates the question is "Doushite wakaretakatte
> koto?", meaning "Why (did we) split?" Again with the assumptions
> (and assuming is dangerous business), it is reasonable to say that
> Belldandy would have a personal interest in such a question if Hild
> guesses this. This coupled with the "Ano hito sokkuri!" implies that
> kamisama is Belldandy and Skuld's father, and that he is also Urd's
> father, with Hild being her mother. For whatever reason, the two
> split.

In your deduction, kami-sama is never involved, but your "implication"
said Kami-sama is the megami's father.  I do not see the implication
here.

> This sort of pattern is not uncommon in mythology, and by pattern I
> mean man and woman are together, man splits from woman, woman and
> man now in direct opposition. Putting kamisama and Hild as Urd's
> parents might be weird, but if anything, it explains both her
> immense power and her lack of focus (which relegates her to
> second-class goddess status).

I never see any evidence saying that Urd was being relegated.  she
might have never been granted a first-class license.

--
'CuSO4' Yung
cuso4@cuso4.com, cuso4@manbow.com, chyung@hknet.com, cuso4@cuso4.org

Search field Search string