RE: new issue of afternoon

to Megami ML <megami@ml.usagi.org>
from Brian Welch <bwelchz7@yahoo.com>
subject RE: new issue of afternoon
date Wed, 1 Aug 2001 11:07:12 -0700 (PDT)
--- Chan Wei Lik <weimin@pl.jaring.my> wrote:
> > From: Brian Welch [mailto:bwelchz7@yahoo.com]
>
> >but still makes you wonder why Hild wouldn't kill
> Welsper just to see what
> would happen on the other side.
>
> I suppose killing your own underlings for
> no-good-reason is frowned upon in
> the underworld. Gives the other guys ideas...

Yeah, chilling thought.  I seem to remember Hild
saying that anything was allowable except for killing.
 I think she was talking about conflicts between the 2
sides, though, not internal conflicts.

> >I should have asked earlier, but why do you think
> >the Doublet System is limited in deployment?
> > What makes you think that not every god/goddess
> >has a demon doublet?
>
> In the manga, when Belldandy is being escorted to
> her meeting with Welsper, > she is told,"... you
> must be able to touch others' hearts, it is very
> important. We are sure you can do it. That's why we
> chose you."
> Inference: only some dieties and demons have the
> temperment to accept a doublet link. Also, it can
> only be done when they are children. Older ones
> would probably rip each others' throats out than be
> linked.  Because of this, it is likely that only a
> handful on each side are actually linked.
> Therefore it is useless as a deterrence because
> either side would lose more to normal attirition
> than to the doublet link during an all-out war.

I see your point.  If this inference is correct (and I
see no reason why it shouldn't be correct), then the
Doublet system is indeed useless as a deterrent,
especially when each side gets to pick whom they send
to the ceremony.  Perhaps there is another reason for
the system other than just preventing conflict?

> By the way, on my last visit to the Dark Horse site,
> I saw that they're close to printing the Welsper
> arc. You'll get to see these chapters in a few
> months time yourself!

If I remember correctly, the date was November 7th?
I'm looking forward to it!

> From you other post:
> >As Hild once told Keiichi, the price would be high
> >- not that it couldn't be done.
>
> She meant what could you offer that would be worth
> the effort to destroy the world?

Yes.  Contrast this to the "normal" anime demon who is
just itching to wreak havoc on the world.  Hild and
her kind have much bigger fish to fry.

Brian W.

Search field Search string

archive list