Re: Summary notes

to Megami ML <megami@ml.usagi.org>
from Brian Welch <bwelchz7@yahoo.com>
subject Re: Summary notes
date Fri, 1 Jun 2001 14:12:18 -0700 (PDT)
First of all, I would like to express the deepest
gratitude of the ML to Chan Wei Lik for this synopses.

--- Chan Wei Lik <weimin@pl.jaring.my> wrote:
> I have decided to place my footnotes and comments
> separate to make it easier
> to flip between these and the summary itself.

Also makes it easier to post comments!  ^_^

> 1. Sharp fans will recognize the vehicles shown off
> by the Club. There's the
> mountain climber from vol 9,

WooHoo!  I loved the mountain climber!  Not that I
could ride the thing without killing myself, but
heh...

> the go-cart from vol 3,

Very scary go-cart there, baaaabeeee!

Mental note to self - as much as I love Urd, leave
automotive maintenance to K1 and Skuld!

> the fuel-saving racer

Complete with trolls!  ^_^  (or internal combustion
demons, or whatever you want to call them!)

> from vol 4 and the last bike is either from OVA 3 or
> vol 2, I'm not sure.
>
> 2. A nice touch here, Skuld says to Keiichi, "Do
> something! You like my
> sister right?" Instead of stamering or denying it
> like other anime
> charaters, Keiichi knows what to do and does it!

Gee, sounds like Urd talking.  Skuld must be growing
up!  Especially when she blasts him with a
wall-o-water!  Nice to see her developing some real
firepower!

> 2a. I wonder why they didn't ask her to summon her
> angel. Seeing Holybell's
> condition might have shocked her into remembering
> something. That would have
> wrecked the plot though...

Makes you wonder about the scene where Belldandy saves
K1 from the motorbike crash, doesn't it?  When Sayoko
jumped off the building in the parasitic demon story,
Belldandy saved her in winged-Belldandy (non-Holy
Bell) mode.  Maybe she did the same here?

> 4. That shouldn't have been a problem. Belldandy has
> demonstrated an
> incredible ability to learn on the fly. She has
> enough time to learn again.
> Perhaps it's a confidence problem? Or does the
> System going down have
> something to do with it?

Bell-chan didn't want or didn't think she had the
ability to co-pilot with K1?  This scene wasn't
explicit in your summary.

> 5. The scene shows an unoccupied bike hitting the
> road barrier. Then it
> shifts to Keiichi and Belldandy. A pair of wings
> disappears behind her. Did
> she use her angel?

See 2a comment above.

> 7. When did this take place? Belldandy's age in this
> sequence conflicts with
> a later flashback. Also, she looks older in the next
> scene, which should
> have been immediately following the Gate visit and
> so she shouldn't have
> looked any older.
>
> 8 It is interesting to note that one of his captors
> in this scene is
> apparently wearing Mara's costume from the Queen
> Sayoko storyarc! I don't
> recognise the other one however
>
> 8a. The next image of Belldandy is the worst I've
> ever seen of her. It's
> far, far more terrifying than an angry Belldandy.
>
> 9. Celestine recieves his sentence in the same hall
> that Peorth was seen
> reporting to earlier. This indicates that this _is_
> an important place.
>
> 10. Skuld lugged Keiichi through a teleport portal
> in a fountain outside the
> hall. If even Skuld can do this, then carrying
> mortals through a teleport
> portal should be an easy task for most gods.
>
> 11. The spell:
> Dawn that cleaves apart all darkness
> blows away all evil
> calls the winds back to Earth
> light that brings hope
> in the clefts between past, present and future
> through the trees' shade
> send the one nested in the tree
> back to the darkness
>
> 12. Celestine's oath:
> together with the ray of hope given to the tree
> walking onwards together before leaving the nest
> I, Celestine, do hereby swear
>
> 12a. Yes, Celestine and Belldandy are standing at
> the base of a tree during
> this.
>
> 13. If this scene is an accurate memory instead of
> Celestine's own dreams,
> he took Belldandy to the Gate of Judgement soon
> after this memory. Yet, she
> looks much older here than either in the memories of
> the Gate affair. An
> internal inconsistency within the movie itself?

At face value it certainly seems contradictory.  It
looks like Celestine had a kind of unnatural affection
verging on pedophilia for the child Belldandy.  Could
that have colored his memories?  Maybe he began
believing (after the fact, during his imprisonment)
that destroying the gate was done for her, to protect
Belldandy?  Then "invented" a memory to go with it?
He doesn't appear too stable, regardless.

> 14. Lacking better suggestions, I have accepted this
> idea from a friend. My
> interpetation is the Tree acts as a conduit for
> large-scale manipulation of
> energy- what you would need to create the world-
> while Heaven's current
> System is better suited for detailed control of
> smaller energy flucuations.

Sounds very plausible.  In fact, it's probably what I
would have come up with - so it has to be right!  ^_^

> 15. Urd's lightning spell:
> racing through the skies
> descending upon the land
> spirits that burst through the air
> show your greatest power
> gather all that power in my hands
> the power to smash all things!
> Lightning Strike!

With the system in trouble she's having to draw from
the raw energy of nature rathe than the refined source
of Yggdrasil, or maybe she's just boosting refined
power with raw?  Regardless, Morgan being a fairy
would have closer access to natural energy sources -
like the spirit in Megumi's apartment when Belldandy
fixed the energy conduit (or whatever it was), she
asked permission before using the power.

> 16. The irony of it. Celestine doesn't even realise
> that he has become one
> of the things he wanted to protect Belldandy and the
> world from.

The guy was a few fries short of a Happy Meal, IMHO.

> 17. From the way she looks at him and says
> "Keiichi-san" it sure seems that
> way.

Ahhhhhh...  Love those two!

> 18. Not only have their proven their love is
> incontestable but also
> unprecedented. Not even the gods would dare come
> between them now I think.

I should think not!

Once again, thanks for the synopses, Chan Wei Lik!

Brian W.

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited