Re: AMG OVA Questions

to <megami@ML.usagi.org>
from "'CuSO4' Yung" <cuso4@cuso4.com>
subject Re: AMG OVA Questions
date Wed, 6 Sep 2000 18:49:25 +0800
> From: "GTR" <nine5@msn.com>
> Can anyone tell me why it took so long for AMG to come out with
> new Movie? It seems like once the 1-5 of OVA was done, there was
> room for a lot more. Was it just not popular enough to make any
> more OVA??  The reason I ask is because I noticed that Gundam has
> like 14 different series each some where over 16 hours long!!!

All are IMHO only, YMMV.

AMG was an OVA.  Which means the the target audience is around 10-40K at
most.  I forogt the sales figure of AMG OVA, but I do remember it is NOT on
the top 10 list of video release ever sold.
I do not think the audience base is enough to support a movie.

Also, the OVA was started in the wake of another seiyuu boom period, with
Inoue Kikuko, Hisakawa Aya, and Touma Yumi did not have any fame yet.

Furthermore, take into consideration of the bubble economy of the era.  No
sponser would like to invest on such a movie.

For now, things are different.  Fukushima products are very well received :
AMG, Taiho, Sakura Taisen, etc.  Kikuko and Aya are now big names.  And the
most important part is that the economy is recovering.

As for Gundam, it is a totally different story.  Original Gundam is a TV
classic, with far more number of audience than any other "giant robot" genre
of TV anime.  Its idea was somewhat very pioneer and used many hit
scientific concepts as background (e.g. the cylindical space colony in
Lagrange position).

Bandai was a small company then.  They invested to produce Gundam figures
and found they are selling faster than they can manufacture.  Now Bandai is
a toy giant.  Since Bandai is willing to sponser more Gundam series, it is
only natural for Sunrise to take up the offer.

Some rants about the Gundam series :

Gundam, Z Gundam, Gundam ZZ, Shaa's Revenge, Gundam 0080, Gundam 0083, and
later Gundam F91 are the proper series.  SD Gundam are not treat seriouly by
Gundam fans.  Gundam V and Gundam X are marginal, whereas Gundam G totally
destroy the traditional Gundam concept.  Many older Gundam fans started to
depart from Gundam-dom.  Not many people can accept a Bishojo Gundam
appeared in the series.

Gundam W was a very strange phenomenon.  It had attracted a total new
generation of Gundam fans, especally young female fans.

The more recent Gundam 08MS is strangely "original".  Aina is very cool.
(Ah! Kikuko-sama!)

I hate Gundam Turn A.  It is totally alien.  I know it is designed by Syd
Mead, but I still hate it.

My recomendation on Gundam series, if you have not watch any of the above :
watch Gundam first, then Z, you can skip ZZ if you do not have time, Shaa's
Revenge is a must (Nu-Gundam is the coolest Gundam ever, with its Fin-fannel
attached.), 0800 is a nice little side story, forget the rest and go
straight to 08MS.

--
'CuSO4' Yung
cuso4@cuso4.com, cuso4@manbow.com, chyung@hknet.com, cuso4@cuso4.org