Re: [ot] Re: AMG Sexist? (OT)

to megami@ML.usagi.org
from Travis Butler <tbutler@tfs.net>
subject Re: [ot] Re: AMG Sexist? (OT)
date Tue, 1 Aug 2000 19:53:50 -0500
On 7/31/00 at 3:05 PM, wwong8@calstatela.edu (Wing Wong) wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Jul 2000, Sam the man wrote:
>
> > It's soooooo cool! Jobs has done it again. I had a NeXT Cube way
> > back in '89 and loved it to bits. I'm excited about the way OSX
> > seems to be very NeXT-Step-esque (with a nice, solid BSD core :).
> > Sam the man
>
> ^_^; I dunno.. ever since Mac OS-X popped up, I've been wondering..
> it's using a BSD core.. so isn't it then really a Mac Distro of BSD?
> With a MacOS X Gui layer?

Not in anything but a superficial sense. :)

Seriously, take a look at John Siracusa's analyses of the OS X developer
releases on Ars Technica
(<http://arstechnica.com/reviews/2q00/macos-qna/macos-x-qa-1.html> is a
reasonable entry point to the series). There's an awful lot of good
solid work on top of the BSD kernel, without even considering the UI
work they've done (which is a lot more than a 'MacOS GUI layer', IMHO).

(Aside: Siracusa appears to be an anime fan; he uses a Macross Plus
backdrop in one of his screenshots. Now, someone needs to send him a
good AMG backdrop... ^_^)

Travis Butler
tbutler@tfs.net

...Cats are the proof of a higher purpose to the universe.

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited
MLtools V3.1 Copyright (c) Usagi Labs