Re: "Real world" OMG moments (OT)

to <megami@ML.usagi.org>
from "Brian Welch" <bwelch@avana.net>
subject Re: "Real world" OMG moments (OT)
date Fri, 7 Apr 2000 07:18:03 -0400
MWoody wrote:

> > (they are called EWNTS01 and EWNTS02,
> > where EW stands for the company name and NTS for NT Server... Yuck!)...
>
> Couldn't let a discussion on server names go by without going a little
> OT for my own experience:
>
> Our OS/2 (and later NT) servers were all named SNIPS, an acronym whose
> meaning had long been forgotten but which the employees were used to.
> So the servers were named SNIPS1, SNIPSNT, SNIPSMAIL, SNIPS2, etc.  This
> worked fine for years, until we set up an exchange server.  I wasn't
> there when they chose the name, but you'd think someone would have
> noticed this before it was too late to change:
>
> The server's name was SNIPSEXCHANGE.  :-)

Good one, Martin!  At my previous employer, our users were named with 3
letters denoting department and 3 initials.  Executives were in the "EX"
department and one ended up with the username "SEXJHM".  He kept the
username, by the way!  It's amazing the innuendos you can get into with
naming conventions.  One of the hazards of the profession, I guess...

Brian W.

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited