Re: More polygonal Goddesses

to <megami@ML.usagi.org>
from "Gregor" <vorlon@iglou.com>
subject Re: More polygonal Goddesses
date Sun, 5 Mar 2000 15:37:11 -0500
----- Original Message -----
> From: "Lord GrrDraxin" <trimax@crosswinds.net>

> If these systems are as fast as they're boasting then there should be no
> need to render our faverate goddesses in polygon when pixels/sprites will
> look better, like an interactive anime.

Err, you seem to be suffering a misconception, or at least your phrasing
implies something strange (that it takes more speed to do good 2D art than it
does to do good 3D art).

If these systems are as fast as they claim, then it is *more* likely that we
will get 3d goddesses, not less.

We've technologically had the ability to have full motion video (the only
thing needed for a good 2d representation) for several years.  I remember the
Turbografx-16 CD-ROM had some Ranma 1/2 games available that looked like cel
art, but I never played them, so I don't what the gameplay style was.

Now, if you want a *real-time* generated 2d representation, then you want to
investigate something like the *old* NeXTstep Display Postscript system
(basically, a 2d vector-rendering engine).  I think the new MacOS X will use
something like that, but as far as I know, it still takes less processing
power than real-time 3D.

It has probably only taken so long to come about because hardly anybody has
been looking into it, compared to 3D.  Especially for games.

...although it might make a useful area of research.

- Gregor  vorlon#iglou.com
http://anime.at/gregordyne
Anime, Amber, 3d, Mage, Eidolon, Miscellany

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited
MLtools V3.1 Copyright (c) Usagi Labs