Re: megami ML matome okuri

to megami@ML.usagi.org
from section9@bellsouth.net
subject Re: megami ML matome okuri
date Fri, 03 Mar 2000 08:06:44 -0500

ami@ML.usagi.org wrote:

<snip>

> BTW on my earlier rant Chris (section9) may not be included in it if he doesn't

> watch the untranslated stuff shown without permission at the cons he's attended.

> --
> Be seeing you,
> Coran Fisher / salyavin@verinet.com
> Take your time.  Leave mine alone.

Oh, heck no. Are you kidding? No one seeks permission to go watch a fansub at a convention.
What I was simply saying was
that most cons probably just show fansubs because it's the only way they can show
late model anime. Now everyone over on
this side of the Pacific has seen a fansub now and again. It's part of the fabric
of American otakudom. Why? They don't
want to wait ten years to see "Saber Marionette J to X" or "Utena" (both of which
are legal tapes now, but I'm just using
the names).

I'll buy overpriced hotel food before looking to see if the con staff has worked out
the legal bugs. That's their job, not
mine. If this were Japan, I wouldn't have to worry about that kind of thing. But it's
not, and you get all sorts of hijinks
over hear that would simply be unheard of in the world of Japanese fandom.  At any
rate, I, as a customer, am paying good
money to get into a convention so I can watch anime and purchase overpriced dustcatchers
and wallscrolls I have no room
for. And don't get me started on garage kit recasts (can you spell "House of Anime"?
I can....).

At any rate, I've sort of given up on conventions, given my terrible disappointment
with AWA's film list and the con in
general (besides, cosplay has become one boring three hour waste of time). Besides,
you can get stuff over the internet tax
free, which is, like, a bonanza.

Be Seeing You,

Chris