(OT) Conventions

to megami@ML.usagi.org
from salyavin@bamboo.verinet.com
subject (OT) Conventions
date Thu, 2 Mar 2000 19:53:51 -0700 (MST)
In the ancient texts section9@bellsouth.net wrote:
> > Christopher Jefferson said:
> >
> > A friend of mine runs 'Nan Desu Kon' in Denver, Colorado.  I asked, "Does
> > the convention use any fansubs?"
> >
> > Her reply, as I expected,"Currently we don't show fansubs.  I've told my
> > video guys I'm ok with showing them >only< with the permission of the
> > company holding rights.  I need someone on staff who's fluent in written
> > Japanese who can mail letters off for this purpose, as well, otherwise we're
> > rather anal about it.  The fans >really< want them, but ethics prevail...
> >
> > They also police their dealers room quite well.

I can verify the accuracy of the above.

> Sad to say, I suspect that this is the exception, rather than the rule, if what

> was written in this ML about AnimeExpo is any indication. I've been to enough
> conventions to know that as long as the con gods who run the show can bring it
> off, they'll show fansubs.
>
> Conventions in the United States are about seeing anime and buying merchandise.

> Oh yeah, and about paying to much for bad hotel food. No more, no less. Rare is

> the otaku who will allow ethics to get in the way of seeing a two episode fansub

> of Rurouni Kenshin, Utena, or End of Eva, at least on this side of the Pacific.

> And if there's a hentai room, that will be packed on the last Saturday night of

> Chris
edited for brevity sorry ^_^;;

I agree there there is a lot of bootlegging going on I hate those who would
profit on bootlegged material at least as much as you (as local retailers ;)
One thing that amazes me though is that people will show
show untranslated anime without the companies permission (the above Nan Desu Kon
being an example) and yet won't show fansubs without permission.  being that
they are equally without permission they are equal in my eyes. If you really
want to get down to the nitty gritty japanese laserdiscs aren't even for sale
outside of Japan.  Don't get me wrong here I loathe the sort that makes money
on bootlegging (SM, some fansubbers, some poster makers, some model makers etc.)
I just can't abide the sort that show or (freely) pass around illegal
untranslated material and say it's "more legal" (which it isn't) or
"more ethical" which I would also argue that it isn't.  If one wants to run
the perfectly ethical con, club or collection by such standards you'd have
to show only material brought over by companies like ADV et al.
Don't get me wrong I am all for showing fansubs, or untranslated material
and I do purchase material regularly from Japan, I just think those who would
show/trade untranslated material and sneer at the ethics of those who show/trade
fansubs need to take a good look in the mirror and realise they are hypocrytical.

Sorry for the length of this rant ^_^;;

Coran

--
Dewa,