Re: megami ML matome okuri

to megami@ML.usagi.org
from section9@bellsouth.net
subject Re: megami ML matome okuri
date Thu, 02 Mar 2000 16:12:13 -0500

ami@ML.usagi.org wrote:

<snip>

> From: "Christian Link" <christ@kda.attmil.ne.jp>

<snip>

> Christopher Jefferson said:
> "Besides, there ISN'T a convention in the whole Fifty States that doesn't
> use fansubs. "

I was using hyperbole, there, Christian, but let's go on.

> A friend of mine runs 'Nan Desu Kon' in Denver, Colorado.  I asked, "Does
> the convention use any fansubs?"
>
> Her reply, as I expected,"Currently we don't show fansubs.  I've told my
> video guys I'm ok with showing them >only< with the permission of the
> company holding rights.  I need someone on staff who's fluent in written
> Japanese who can mail letters off for this purpose, as well, otherwise we're
> rather anal about it.  The fans >really< want them, but ethics prevail...
>
> They also police their dealers room quite well.
>
> Christian

Sad to say, I suspect that this is the exception, rather than the rule, if what
was written in this ML about AnimeExpo is any indication. I've been to enough
conventions to know that as long as the con gods who run the show can bring it
off, they'll show fansubs.

Conventions in the United States are about seeing anime and buying merchandise.
Oh yeah, and about paying to much for bad hotel food. No more, no less. Rare is
the otaku who will allow ethics to get in the way of seeing a two episode fansub
of Rurouni Kenshin, Utena, or End of Eva, at least on this side of the Pacific.
And if there's a hentai room, that will be packed on the last Saturday night of
the con. I know that this drives Japanese fans nutters, but that's the state of
fandom in the United States: it's bootleg city, and don't let anyone tell you
that it isn't.

One of the more interesting things that I recall from Anime Weekend Atlanta was
the fact that representatives of both Ban Dai and Pioneer showed up to sell
their wares in the dealer's room (they were just down the row from the guys who
were selling tons of Son May and Ever Anime discs) while at the same convention
fansubs by these same companies were being shown in the video rooms. Fansubs,
mind you, NOT the officially licensced product. Did the company reps care? Not a
chance.

But there were better memories from an otherwise disappointing convention:
anyone who has never seen Steve Bennett tanked with booze is missing a sight. He
shows up at every convention, along with that clown who does a Seiyann from DBZ
in the foam yellow hairpiece. Nice guy, really.

Thanks, but I think I'll wait until Animeigo comes out with the movie over here
so I can feel better about myself.

Be Seeing You,

Chris

Search field Search string