Re: discrepancies...

to <megami@ML.usagi.org>
from "Brian Welch" <bwelch@avana.net>
subject Re: discrepancies...
date Fri, 4 Jan 1980 22:18:56 -0500
Kevin wrote:

>>in the OAV, Belldandy's supposed to be Keiichi's age... when they
>>were kids and when adults... (well, it seems to me that way cos Bell-
>>chan is a kid when K1 is a kid too) when she fulfilled k1's wish,
>>she's the same age as he is...
>
>I don't believe it is ever stated that succinctly.  Only that she APPEARS
>the same age.  And My guess would be that megami can change their
>appearance pretty readily, including their apparent age.

I've always thought it kind of funny that they don't ever do it voluntarily,
though.  Urd, Skuld, and Peorth have all changed to different ages at one
point or another, but never voluntarily.

<<SNIP>>

>>or she'd disguise herself old (if she's still young)
>
>assuming you mean by "old" her normal, OVA/manga appearance (personally the
>words "old" and "Belldandy" don't seem to go together...), the same logic
>applies.  If Urd were assigned to grant a wish to Happosai, do you think
>for a minute she would go in what we assume to be her standard form?

Happosai would probably get in one grab (Urd never seems to mind, at least
for the first moment or two) and then be reduced to a pile of smoked gnome.
I can see Urd saying "What's that you say you want? A pair of panties?
Fine, then."  <POOF!>  "You're a pair of panties."

Given Urd's respect (or lack thereof) for the "rules," it's probably just as
well that she considers the wish-granting business to be beneath her.
"Answering the phones" as she calls it.

>depends on whether you're going back to the original mythology or not.  The
>Norns, like everyone else in the parthenon, would be destroyed at the final
>battle.

Maybe, maybe not.  If you take (as many scholars do) the ash tree that Lif
and Lifthrasir are hidden in at the end of the world to be Yggdrasil or an
offshoot thereof, then the Norns may very well survive Surt's conflagration.
After all, some of the gods survive.

>If you're talking strictly about Fujishima-sensei's "norns" (and
>lets call them "megami" so as not to confuse things) I don't believe they
>are ever stated to be immortal.

Not explicitly, but the manga certainly indicates that they live very long
lives - several centuries, probably millenia at the least.

>If they were, why would there need to be
>new ones born, or a need for them to grow up?

Ah, and therein lies a fascinating little theory of mine.  Remember Urd's
mention of losing ones memories as part of the "rebirth penalty" when
Welsper was revealed to be able to talk?  What if the Norns and the rest of
the pantheon (or what we've seen of it - not necessarily all of it) were
reborn with no knowledge of their pasts?  There's even historical precedent
when you consider that the Norse religion disappeared about 1,000 AD.
That's a very convenient time for gods and goddesses to begin being reborn,
and neatly explains the fact that the Megami were born while the Norns were
not.  I'm working on a fanfic which builds off this premise, by the way.
Don't expect to see it soon, though, as it has been under development for
several years and isn't near done, yet - keep rewriting the whole darn
thing.

Speaking of rebirth penalties and such, this whole story arc about Urd's
mommy coming to visit has really had an effect on me.  First, I'm still not
over that off-the-wall (or so I thought) theory of mine concerning who Urd's
mother was being proven true.  I know the general consensus is that
Fujishima-sensei  isn't one for well-thought-out plotlines, but I'd argue
that he has been preparing us for Hild's appearance since at least Volume 5.
Combine that with the confirmation of a memory penalty and the general
knowledge of a concept of "rebirth" and you can see why the Hild story arc
has left me kind of stunned.  It's scary, but I'm beginning to think that my
personal concept of the AMG universe may be close to Fujishima's *_* .

Too bad Sam isn't here, he'd take out his cricket bat and whack my inflated
ego down to size!  Even though we hardly agree on anything, I miss the guy -
been too quiet lately, sniff, sniff.

Brian W.

Search field Search string

archive list