Re: megami ML matome okuri

to megami@ML.usagi.org
from section9@bellsouth.net
subject Re: megami ML matome okuri
date Mon, 03 Jan 2000 08:41:46 -0500

Pierre and Copper Sulphate Guy gave some opinions in recent days.....

> Hello all ^_^

> 1. Saber Marionette J - Tape 1
> Overall rating: A+
>
> (All of these are subtitled versions - I don't buy anything else.)
>
> The "preview" for SMJ was inflicted on me courtesy of my Gundan 0083 tapes
> (brought to the US by Anime Village). The preview was AWFUL and I had pretty
> much made up my mind to pass on this one until a friend made a strong
> recommendation and I figured it wouldn't hurt to try ONE tape.
>
> Thank Kamisama I did try it. ^_^
>
> Let me just say that the first thing I did after I finished that tape was
> log on to Amazon and order the entire boxed set of 8 tapes.
>
> Then I watched my tape again.
>
> SMJ is good. Real good. The characters are charming and just off-the-wall
> enough to be interesting without being alien. I think AMG fans in particular
> would like it. It definitely can be corraled smack in the middle of that
> "magical girl" category we talked about some months back -- except that,
> like another series which we all know of, there are three magical girls.
> (And, like that other series, the third had not yet made her entrance as of
> the end of the first tape.) The scene where Otaru and Lime first meet bore
> some striking similarities to another first-meeting scene right down to the
> lines uttered by the male protagonist: "Na--na--nanda?!"

I must agree with you on SMJ. The series is visually pleasing and the characters
well thought out. In addition, it has the virtue of recurring sight gags that keep

the series familiar to the viewer. A BIG improvement over SM R. Once you're done
with the "J" series, proceed to "Saber Marionette J Again", then to "Saber
Marionette J to X", the first of which is an OAV (methinks) and the second is a
sequel to SMJ.

> Overall the feeling is quite similar to AMG but set against a traditional
> epic-battle-of-good-guys-versus-bad-guys-in-space and slightly more campy.

I didn't quite think of SMJ as Magical Girl, unlike Rayearth.

> 5. Serial Experiments Lain - "Navi" "Knights" and "Deus"
> Overall Rating: B+
>
> Major points here for a chilling, well developed atmosphere and story. In
> "X-Files" fashion, information about the characters and the world is fed to
> you in tantalizing little dribs and drabs. It's hard to stop yourself from
> watching more -- I watched all three dvds over a two-day period.
>
> Highly recommended viewing for Netizens. ^_^

Agreed here. Well thought out and worth a second look.

> 6. Neon Genesis Evangelion - Tape 1
> Overall Rating: B+

Sorry, haven't started watching this yet, although I had to sit throught "End of
Eva" during Anime Weekend Atlanta. Something I do not look forward to doing again.

> From: "'CuSO4' Yung" <cuso4@cuso4.com>

<snip>

> > 6. Neon Genesis Evangelion - Tape 1
> > Overall Rating: B+
> >
> > I finally broke down and decided to start watching this. Actually a
> comment
> > made by a friend eliminated the last bit of resistance I had -- let me
> tell
> > you what he said: "It's really very good. You realize that the guys that
> > made this really THOUGHT about things." Having only seen one tape, any
> > comments of mine on that score wouldn't carry much weight in a court of
> > reason. ^_^ But this first taste was quite intriguing and I'm looking
> > forward to watching more.
>
> Hm, I just want to know your reaction to the infamous ep.25 & 26.

That depends on which alternate ending you attach "infamous" to. The "all's well
that ends reasonably confused" ending or the "...my name is Hideaki Anno and I
need my antidepressants again!" ending.

I get really p.o.'d about EOE, so I won't say anything more because of spoiler
considerations.

> 'CuSO4' Yung
> cuso4@cuso4.com
> chyung@hknet.com
>
> ------- Message

> From: "'CuSO4' Yung" <cuso4@cuso4.com>
> To: <megami@ml.usagi.org>
> Subject: My Take on Anime Review
> Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 15:28:26 +0800
>
> My take on recent anime review :
>
> <big snip>

> * Kodomo no Omocha (TV)
>   I still have not finish the junior high school hen.  A very touching
> series
>   about the life of a hyper-active childol (child-idol).  Kurada Sana make
> me
>   think of Maeda Ai, the real life childol.  Ai-chan is very, very cute.
>   Highly recommended.

This series has really captured the imagination of many in the states. Indeed, it

has its own newsgroup (alt.fan.sana-chan). Many have called this show "Marmalade
Boy on Crack".What I have seen is from the "last year in elementary school" story

arc, when the story is still insane. The pitifully few eps that were shown at
Anime Weekend Atlanta still packed them in.

> * Cowboy Bepop (TV)
>   Magnificant TV series.  The feel is very good, and the OP just suit the
>   feel nicely.  "Spike-Spike-Fei-Fei"  ^_^;;;   Ed is very interesting.
>   Highly recommended.

I watched the first eight sessions of Cowboy Bebop. Unfortunately, my local comics

outfit, Tate's Comics, only has the Bandai dubs (yeeeesh!-that's like waking up
next to an ugly woman!). The music is magnificent, and what can one say about Fay

Valentine except, well, wow! Your recommendation is seconded. Now everyone go out

and buy the Fay Valentine garage kit.

Be Seeing You,

Chris

Search field Search string