Re: Fan translations for vol. 19

to megami@ML.usagi.org
from David Mandalis <dmmanda@attglobal.net>
subject Re: Fan translations for vol. 19
date Tue, 02 Nov 1999 21:24:55 -0500
I think the effort was not to have KC or an importer sell Mangas in the
US/Canada with a printed
cheat sheet attached undermining DH attempts to market their own
version.  I think this falls
the slippery slope of contention concerning fansubs of videos.  I found
a site (why does my spell
checker keep on replacing site with sight??? more mysteries...) that
went to volume 18,
but stopped with a simple "uncollected" heading with a short synopsis of
each chapter afterwards.
I don't think Dark Horse or Studio Proteous are being threatened
financially by some one posting
without accompanying graphics what the dialogue could be translated to,
if anything it might
keep them honest and not try to fudge a translation where the dialogue
might offend some of our
more sensitive readers.  Now I am one of those individuals that will buy
both versions just from
the standpoint of seeing the art in both formats, and two different
translation perspectives have
helped me in the past get a particular concept
(read..joke..punchline..pun..etc.)

Dave M.

Leonardo Sobrado wrote:

> DH made it clear that they did not want anyone to be translating "their"
> stuff.
> I'm actually glad that fan translations are disappearing. That way most
> people will keep buying  the DH manga and they'll keep releasing more
> chapters.
> LSE.

Search field Search string

archive list