Re: Magic in AMG (was RE: Demon Markings)

to "Megami ML" <megami@ML.usagi.org>
from "Brian Welch" <bwelch@avana.net>
subject Re: Magic in AMG (was RE: Demon Markings)
date Tue, 5 Oct 1999 12:34:14 -0400
Chan Wei Lik wrote:

>> From: Brian Welch [mailto:bwelch@avana.net]
>
>>This might help explain how Velsper could wield such a
>> strong curse spell when he was just a kid (Chan Wei Lik wondered a few
>> months ago about how Velsper could cast that spell).
>
>I'm surprised that someone still remembers that. After that post I did some
>thinking and came up with an idea, but never got around to posting it. It
>goes like this:
>
>A few years ago, someone commented that 'a promise was the most powerful
>magic in AMG'. As embodied in the Ultimate Force, it seems that way- at
>least for Heaven.
>But what about the Demons?
>I'm thinking what if demonic magic operates on the principles of making
>deals? To cast a spell you have to offer something to the Demonic System
>(whatever it is). The more valueable the offering, the more powerful the
>magic. I think that offering energy would be the most common, but it would
>also be the most mundane, so a lot would be required for powerful magic. If
>you have something more important to offer however...
>I feel it has a corrupting influence and let's even weak demons compete on
>equal footing with powerful ones. Very evil, very demonic...
>Comments?

Such as Welsper offering to curse himself?  That would explain a lot.

On the point of demonic magic working differently from heavenly magic, I
have noticed that demons use devices a lot more than goddesses do.  Urd's
the only goddess who has significant magical ability (Skuld doesn't count)
and regularly uses devices (potions) to get things done.  Belldandy and
Peorth have used an occasional earring, but generally stick to spells.

>>It also might explain how he knew about Hild and Urd's connection
>
>I don't think he knew. I think he either has a plan of some kind for
himself
>or figured that only a more powerful demon than himself could undo the
>spell.

In Stephen Lee's post, he wrote the following:

***
Belldandy says she considered it, but she has no means of contacting
this entity.  Peorth/Vesper asserts that it is possible.  She/he asks
Urd, "Right?"
***

It appears from this that Welsper knows of some connection between Urd and
Hild.

>>(though Mara may  have known
>> also, since she knew about Urd's demon bloodlines).
>
>I doubt Mara knew until Urd appeared when she used the Urn.

Good point.  Mara was certainly surprised at who appeared!

Brian W.

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited