RE: New light on the doublet system

to <megami@ML.usagi.org>
from "Chan Wei Lik" <weimin@pl.jaring.my>
subject RE: New light on the doublet system
date Tue, 5 Oct 1999 23:12:31 +0800
> From: Sam the man [mailto:ngalyod@clear.net.nz]

> Remember that Velsper is inexorably linked to Belldandy via
> the Doublet System (a plot device that I *still* haven't worked out my
> opinion on)

Since Welsper's 'demotion' I've wondered about the status of the link
between them. Is Belldandy supposed to take REALLY good care of that cat
because her life depends on it?

> Who cashed in a smegload of favours in
> order to be able to choose Belldandy's doublet demon?

That implies someone on the Demonic side knew the identity of the Gods'
Doublet. Since such knowledge would defeat the purpose of the system, I
doubt it was the case. I think the candidates were choosen based on the
possibility of them being 'friendly' to their opposite number. If Welsper
was the best they could do...

> From: Brian Welch [bwelch@avana.net]

> If Kami-sama is powerful enough to force the Doublet system on the demons,
why would he want to do something so limiting to the gods?

That would have been too one sided, the Demons would never have agreed.

>Maybe, but the opportunities for cheating abound.  Suppose Hild
>or whoever matches up a weakling demon with a powerful god?  If she kills
>the demon, the god dies also and the demons are ahead of the game.

You think that's something? What if a demon tricked a mortal into slaying a
god and to do so without revealing his involvement?

> Maybe there are checks and balances in place to make sure that doesn't
happen?

If there wasn't, ANY death on one side would risk a death on the other, even
if it wasn't caused by the other side. Hardly fair.
If there was, sooner or later loopholes in the system would be uncovered and
you'd demons or dieties dying from 'natural causes' and the DS would let it
slide.
Screwed either way.

>The other possibility, of course, is that the Doublet System was imposed on
>both sides by a third party we don't know about.

What if the 'Kamisama' that we know of is only the leader of the Gods' side
as Hild (or however you want to spell her name) is the leader of the demons.
What if the third party is the true creator?

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited
MLtools V3.1 Copyright (c) Usagi Labs