Re: Demon Markings

to megami@ml.usagi.org
from Albert K T Hui <avatar@deva.net>
subject Re: Demon Markings
date Tue, 5 Oct 1999 22:46:14 +0800
Albert K T Hui <avatar@deva.net> wrote:
> Sam the man <ngalyod@clear.net.nz> wrote:
>>> From: Albert K T Hui <avatar@deva.net>
>>>Makai is the Japanese word for "realm of demons".
>> How does this compare with Jigoku? Or am I embaressinlgy thinking of
>> something from an RPG?  ^_^

> "Jigoku" literally means "the underground prison", similar to the
> Christian "Hell".  On the other hand "Makai" need not be a place for
> punishment, merely a "realm of demons".

> If you have not yet overwhelmed by the jargons, I'll go on to explain
> how mortals can get there tomorrow. :)

On second thought at such depth it is already beyond common knowledge.
So I'll just stress that, in Eastern culture, it is generally believed
that Jigoku ("Hell") and Makai ("realm of demons") are different places,
and that the dieties that rule over Hell are usually portraited as
benevolent judges.

--
Albert K T Hui

Search field Search string