Re: Demon Markings

to megami@ml.usagi.org
from Albert K T Hui <avatar@deva.net>
subject Re: Demon Markings
date Tue, 5 Oct 1999 12:09:46 +0800
Sam the man <ngalyod@clear.net.nz> wrote:
>> From: Albert K T Hui <avatar@deva.net>
>>Makai is the Japanese word for "realm of demons".
> How does this compare with Jigoku? Or am I embaressinlgy thinking of
> something from an RPG?  ^_^

"Jigoku" literally means "the underground prison", similar to the
Christian "Hell".  On the other hand "Makai" need not be a place for
punishment, merely a "realm of demons".

The Sanskrit "Naraka" is also translated as "Jigoku".  While the concept
of "underground prison" predates the introduction of Buddhism into
China, the Buddhist interpretation of Naraka has a heavy influence on
how Easterners view "the underground prison".  For instance, the notion
of "18 levels of Hell" comes from Buddhist belief, though most
Easterners do not know why it is so.  Note that the "underground" part
does not come from Buddhism at all, but instead is a traditional Chinese
belief, as in "=1B渋曾族縦捗探獣化長渋遜続渋構洞襲" (souls return to t
he prison of Mt. Tai).

Technically speaking, in Mahayana Buddhist cosmology, Naraka is situated
in the east of Jambudvipa (your world), within the Cakravaa (surrounding
mountain of steel);  whereas "the realm of demons" is (the "datu" of
demons is technically very different from the "deva" of demons, but
we'll let it slip :)) Paranirmita-vasavarti, situated at the top of the
desire heaven, which is at the top of the realm of desire (where you
are).

If you have not yet overwhelmed by the jargons, I'll go on to explain
how mortals can get there tomorrow. :)

--
Albert K T Hui

Search field Search string